Diarrhea only in the morning

Katattack29

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2021
Missoula, MT
Hi! I have 3 Buff Orpington's and one of them always has a huge watery poop when I let her out in the morning. The rest of the day, her poops are normal. Is it ok that she has diarrhea in the morning? What could be causing this?

Hi! I have 3 Buff Orpington's and one of them always has a huge watery poop when I let her out in the morning. The rest of the day, her poops are normal. Is it ok that she has diarrhea in the morning? What could be causing this?
I'm sorry no one answered your thread. How are they doing now? Can it be they drink loads of water and eat less during the night?

Can I ask if you ever figured this out?

I have several birds (chickens and peafowl) and almost all of them have diarrhea only in the mornings. I have dealt with two vets and we still don't know what's wrong. The affected birds aren't acting sick at all and it's weird that the diarrhea is mainly only in the morning. I'd really love to figure out why.

I have had similar from a few chickens - not all of them. These ones tend to "stock up" before going to bead, so they eat loads (and we tend to give them scratch about an hour before sundown) and then they drink lots - but only in the summer. In the UK, that's not all that hot usually but once we get into autumn and winter, it stops happening.

The other factor I found was the coup being too hot at night - then they seem to pee more during the night. If I could get it cooler, it got less, although didn't stop completely.

I hope that helps - it may not be the same as your issue but it was our experience here with some of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom