Diarrhea poop / worms or something worse?

If you have a dog and cat vet, they might let you bring in some fresh droppings to test for worms. Worm eggs are not seen by the naked eye, and only a couple of types of worms can be seen without a microscope. Some people worm their chickens twice a year or more, just to keep them from getting a large worm load. The more warm and tropical the climate, the more worms are a problem.
Thanks that's awesome, she hasn't been pooping much at all as her appetite has dropped off almost completely now. I have been deworming them this week and no change yet, will keep you posted.

Update:

Hello you wonderful helpful people.

Went to the vets today, the diagnosis is uncertain, but we are treating her but the vet things it could possibly be a complication in her reproductive system, and that the lumps in her solids could be some shedding of her linings. Although she's only two years old we're treating here for egg peritonitis. She's having 75mg of Enroflacin a day and 0.37ml of Metacam for 4 days.

She does not enjoy being force fed pills and liquids, or being in a cage in the house but she's been eating quite a bit this afternoon which makes me feel a lot better. Will keep you posted, here's us at the vet!

19187C83-BB85-4302-AB81-C1DDE00CEE45.jpg

Glad that you saw the vet. Many hens unfortunately can suffer reproductive disorders (internal layer, egg yolk peritonitis, salpingitis) which is more common after 2 years. Enrofloxacin or Baytril is a good choice for treating the different types of bacteria that may be causing problems. Although antibiotics will not cure it, they may prolong their lives in some cases. Hens can live for a long time in many cases with some of these problems, although some may die young.

Hey guys, just a quick update, chicken has finished her course of antibiotics and anti inflam and not getting much better, same poop, I cut one up as per requested on here earlier and found nothing but stones in it, but the tip of the strange shape was similar to the stringy bit on an eggwhite. I've put some photos. We'll likely go back to the vet in a couple days, let me know if you have any ideas.

IMG_7926.jpeg

IMG_7928.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom