Diarrhea poop / worms or something worse?

ChristchurchChicks

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2019
Warning, images of poop:

Hello I was hoping someone could shed a light on my chicken's health.

I have consulted the poop chart and haven't found anything similar to my chicken's droppings. These have a watery part and a solid part, some of the solids at first looked like worms to me but I cannot find a matching image of worms.

IMG_7858.jpeg

IMG_7859.jpeg

IMG_7874.jpeg

Background: It's the middle of winter here in New Zealand, most of my four chickens have molted and have grown most of their feathers back. Two have lost a lot of weight but are putting it back on. The one with the diarrhea is the one I suspected the least, as she's the biggest and most feathered one. I noticed one had runny poop with strange solids in it, and have photographed them twice in a row. I've treated the flock for worms, but have only noticed this morning the one with diarrhea is less keen on food than the others. They are otherwise behaving normally and seem happy.

If anyone has seen similar symptoms in a chicken before please let me know what I should be looking out for.

Warning, images of poop:

Hello I was hoping someone could shed a light on my chicken's health.

I have consulted the poop chart and haven't found anything similar to my chicken's droppings. These have a watery part and a solid part, some of the solids at first looked like worms to me but I cannot find a matching image of worms.

View attachment 1811995
View attachment 1811996
View attachment 1811997

Background: It's the middle of winter here in New Zealand, most of my four chickens have molted and have grown most of their feathers back. Two have lost a lot of weight but are putting it back on. The one with the diarrhea is the one I suspected the least, as she's the biggest and most feathered one. I noticed one had runny poop with strange solids in it, and have photographed them twice in a row. I've treated the flock for worms, but have only noticed this morning the one with diarrhea is less keen on food than the others. They are otherwise behaving normally and seem happy.

If anyone has seen similar symptoms in a chicken before please let me know what I should be looking out for.
Hi there! Welcome to BYC! I don't know what to tell you about the poop but I know some great ones who do! @casportpony @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @coach723 are a few that really know what's going on. Hopefully one or more of them will be on soon. Good luck!

If you have a dog and cat vet, they might let you bring in some fresh droppings to test for worms. Worm eggs are not seen by the naked eye, and only a couple of types of worms can be seen without a microscope. Some people worm their chickens twice a year or more, just to keep them from getting a large worm load. The more warm and tropical the climate, the more worms are a problem.

Update:

Hello you wonderful helpful people.

Went to the vets today, the diagnosis is uncertain, but we are treating her but the vet things it could possibly be a complication in her reproductive system, and that the lumps in her solids could be some shedding of her linings. Although she's only two years old we're treating here for egg peritonitis. She's having 75mg of Enroflacin a day and 0.37ml of Metacam for 4 days.

She does not enjoy being force fed pills and liquids, or being in a cage in the house but she's been eating quite a bit this afternoon which makes me feel a lot better. Will keep you posted, here's us at the vet!

19187C83-BB85-4302-AB81-C1DDE00CEE45.jpg

Back
Top Bottom