Diary of a Crossbeak: Support for Special Needs Chickens and their Keepers

Pics
My hen died on Thursday!! :'( it wasn't the one with a funny beak though it was my leghorn and she never missed a day of laying! I'm so sad :(

MEMORIAL

The sweetest "special needs" chicken anywhere! Ten months ago today we were blessed with 4 free chicks. Three were silkies and one was this sweet d'uccle. As she started to get older her beak began crossing and hence she got her name, "Broke Beak". She was the "pet" chicken as she was allowed to come in the house daily and dine on her mash. She would fly up to the counter to make sure you were making it right, and sample it, as you were trying to make it. She would fly on your back, arm, anywhere she could as you carried the dish to put it down. She was the first one out of the coop squawking loudly and running as fast as her little legs could carry her to the back door. Today she lost the battle of her disability even though I was syringe feeding her. She will be so missed because she was so special. I wish I could of saved her...

So very sorry to hear about your special chick and sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
My crossbeak chick Peaches sounded a lot like your Broke Beak. Peaches was always on my back and on my arms she would even flee the bathroom brooder and come running across the kitchen floor to find me. She was the sweetest chick I ever had and sadly today at only 7 weeks old she lost her tiny little life and her battle trying to eat everyday. She will be very missed as Im sure your chick will be also. My family cried for Peaches this morning, my 3 DDs are very sad. I hope everyone else continues to have good luck with their own special chicks.

Last edited:
Well i think this is Bernards last night. He's barely skin and bones, can't hardly stand up, and is coughing back up any food and water I try to give him.

And as I'm writing this, I just watched him go limp and he's gone.
Aww so very sad. RIP Bernard and say HI to BB for me :)

Oh! Again, I am sorry. I hope everyone else's birds are doing well. Cadbury has done a lot better than I thought she would.
So great to hear that Cadbury is doing well. Give her a hug from me.

My hen died on Thursday!! :'( it wasn't the one with a funny beak though it was my leghorn and she never missed a day of laying! I'm so sad
sad.png
It's so hard when they appear to be healthy and then you find them gone. I have had that happen to me once and it just leaves you speechless.

So very sorry to hear about your special chick and sorry for your loss.
Thank you so much.
hugs.gif

My crossbeak chick Peaches sounded a lot like your Broke Beak. Peaches was always on my back and on my arms she would even flee the bathroom brooder and come running across the kitchen floor to find me. She was the sweetest chick I ever had and sadly today at only 7 weeks old she lost her tiny little life and her battle trying to eat everyday. She will be very missed as Im sure your chick will be also. My family cried for Peaches this morning, my 3 DDs are very sad. I hope everyone else continues to have good luck with their own special chicks.

I can't believe that just happened today as you wished me condolences. It just breaks my heart and yes, Peaches sounds just like BB. Brought tears to my eyes too.
hugs.gif

Awww, so sorry to hear of the loss of Brokebeak and Bernard. :( My condolences.
Thank you :)

Aww so very sad. RIP Bernard and say HI to BB for me :)

So great to hear that Cadbury is doing well. Give her a hug from me.

It's so hard when they appear to be healthy and then you find them gone. I have had that happen to me once and it just leaves you speechless.

Thank you so much.
hugs.gif

I can't believe that just happened today as you wished me condolences. It just breaks my heart and yes, Peaches sounds just like BB. Brought tears to my eyes too.
hugs.gif

Thank you :)
Thank you! I was more than speechless lol I cried! I love my birds! some people may think I overreacted but I'm a 14 yr old girl lol!

This entire topic has been a very interesting read! I had no idea the crossbeak was so common. One of our Ameraucana chicks has developed quite a severe crossed beak. She is currently eating and drinking fine, and is also continuing to prune herself. How long this will last, not sure. She is only 3 weeks now, has anyone had one with such a severe crossbeak at this age? And it survive for any amount of time, and have a decent quality of life. I'm bummed, this was my favorite of all the chicks we bought. :(

Here is a few pics we took today (Easter) her name is Corky

Back
Top Bottom