Diary of a Crossbeak: Support for Special Needs Chickens and their Keepers

Pics
Lady got her first bath today. She smelled like poop, and she keeps following me in the house so I figured it's time for a diaper and a bath haha.

Brazilian Blow-Out: Chicken Style!
BEFORE:

aaaand AFTER:

Hey guys - does anyone have any experience using chick mash to feed their cross beak?
Lady has tons of energy and follows me everywhere, but as soon as she sees food - including Anything that comes near MY mouth - she acts like she's dying of starvation. I'm worried she's too skinny and not getting the nutrition she needs.
I often tell new members here that Fermented Feed is great. It can be easily eaten by the cross beak, gives her (or him) extra protein, a healthier digestive system, and a million other benefits. It is good for the whole flock, and Cabury no longer spends the day eating. In fact ... Turns out she is laying!!!
wee.gif
My Ameraucana that was in that coop is currently laying in a box in my kitchen (still don't know what is up with her). Imagine my surprise to find a blue egg in the coop 3 days in a row!! I even checked every chicken to make sure that there wasn't another pea comb in there I had forgotten about!

I often tell new members here that Fermented Feed is great. It can be easily eaten by the cross beak, gives her (or him) extra protein, a healthier digestive system, and a million other benefits. It is good for the whole flock, and Cabury no longer spends the day eating. In fact ... Turns out she is laying!!!
wee.gif
My Ameraucana that was in that coop is currently laying in a box in my kitchen (still don't know what is up with her). Imagine my surprise to find a blue egg in the coop 3 days in a row!! I even checked every chicken to make sure that there wasn't another pea comb in there I had forgotten about!
That is awesome!!! Congratulations!
What is fermented feed? Is it expensive? Do I feed it to just Lady or to everybody?

I am curious to know as well - about the fermented feed. Bird has been losing weight recently. It's hard to fatten up a chicken with this condition.

Quote:
I am curious to know as well - about the fermented feed. Bird has been losing weight recently. It's hard to fatten up a chicken with this condition.

Feed to the entire flock. Depending on your flock size, put 2 day's worth of dry food in a bucket (or jar if you have a few chicks) add enough water to cover the feed, and then an inch or two. Add a glug (1/4 cup) of Unpasteurized apple cider vinegar with mother. It is sold by Heinz, Braggs and other companies in most stores. Stir. Warm water speeds up the process.
The first time takes about a day to ferment. After that it is about six hours. Stir twice a day. Add feed and water (no more ACV) daily. Most chickens take to it immediately. They will begin eating less food (saving $$) after about a month.
This will add healthy weight/size.

Interesting! So how do you feed it? I'm assuming it is kind of a slop when fed - you give cadbury a bowl by herself I guess and the rest just pig out? Do you use a bin or trough to feed them?

I'm just curious, thanks for the info.

That's really cool!!
Do you know the science behind why it helps?
It breaks down the food, kinda pre-digesting it. I admit the whole "greatness" of it escapes me anymore. I know it prevents a lot of health problems because the flock is so healthy. The body no longer works hard to break down the food, so vitamins, minerals and proteins get absorbed more effectively.
Interesting! So how do you feed it? I'm assuming it is kind of a slop when fed - you give cadbury a bowl by herself I guess and the rest just pig out? Do you use a bin or trough to feed them?

I'm just curious, thanks for the info.
I feed it in a round plastic bed pan from the hospital. UNUSED!
sickbyc.gif
Cadbury will stand in the middle of the bowl, and the others eat around her. Vinegar eats away at metal, so use plastic all the time. If you make it wet, you can strain it with a strainer or slotted spoon. If it is like oatmeal I leave it. Some people let it get dry enough for a crack to run along the top of the feed. White foam on the top is fine. FF bubbles. AND EXPANDS!!! The feed will about double in size.
You can always take a 4 inch PVC pipe, cut it open and put it on supports as a feeder. Dishpans work too.

I am new to all things chicken and got the luck of the draw with a crossbeak girl. She is 8 weeks old and we just started noticing the crossbeak about a week or so ago. She's a little lighter than the other girls as far as weight but seems to be eating okay'ish'. When I went in to change water last night, her crop was empty so I hand fed her some chick starter. The poor thing has to work so hard at it, but does much better if I can make it as deep as possible in my hands. When her crop was full, I closed up the coop for the night. This morning she had a full crop... Was it still full from last nights feeding or has she been eating since then? I have no idea how long it takes for them to empty their crop. So I guess I will just keep an eye on her weight. Here is a pic of her. How severe does this crossbeak look? I don't know what to compare it to, to know if it's a mild or severe case... Also, does it look like I should start filing it down now? How long should I let it get? (not the best pics, it's hard to take a pic toward yourself and hold a squirming chicken at the same time! LOL) Thanks!

This is "Bones"

It breaks down the food, kinda pre-digesting it. I admit the whole "greatness" of it escapes me anymore. I know it prevents a lot of health problems because the flock is so healthy. The body no longer works hard to break down the food, so vitamins, minerals and proteins get absorbed more effectively.
I feed it in a round plastic bed pan from the hospital. UNUSED!
sickbyc.gif
Cadbury will stand in the middle of the bowl, and the others eat around her. Vinegar eats away at metal, so use plastic all the time. If you make it wet, you can strain it with a strainer or slotted spoon. If it is like oatmeal I leave it. Some people let it get dry enough for a crack to run along the top of the feed. White foam on the top is fine. FF bubbles. AND EXPANDS!!! The feed will about double in size.
You can always take a 4 inch PVC pipe, cut it open and put it on supports as a feeder. Dishpans work too.
That is so cool!!!! I will have to give this a try! Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom