Diary of a Crossbeak: Support for Special Needs Chickens and their Keepers

Pics
has she had a full crop? that isn't that unusual in a crosbeak, i add cornmeal to feed for mine, to make sure they are getting enough calories

She was keeping up with her sister that we got at the same time, but the past couple of days I have noticed her falling behind in size.

My cross beak seemed to be behind in growing as we adjusted to how she has to eat. We made mash and put it in with all of the chicks and they all loved it so I don't think she got enough. Eventually we fed her alone and she had a huge growth spurt her comb is the largest of the ameracauna hens. She is probably 2/3 their size now as an adult. She's awesome though we just love her and alet hough we were sad at first we are so happy we have our little crossbeak. What a character! She stays in pretty much exclusively now unless we force her outside in the yard with us (mean people huh?) if you ask her she is a house chicken thank you very much!

I like this thread! Haha :) Thise birds think they own the place huh? I know Almond does!
Here is my little dude, Almond. He is @8months old and he is a smutty buff Silkie roo.
He is supper nice and a great bird.
He eats and drinks just fine. However I am concerned about his weight. How much should he weight? Last time I checked he was around 1lb. He has never really had a full crop which is not unusual for a cross beak, but he is a bit thin (he eats like a little piggy). How much should a Silkie roo weight on average?
So far no eating issues and he is already an adult. I think he will live a happy and content life.
P_20150425_120743_zpsqkrkxfqe.jpg~320x480

Here is a picture of him as a chick:
IMG_0778_zps92c516c5.jpg~320x480

Here is a picture of him at @ 3months?
IMG_20141026_141750_zpse448cf87.jpg~320x480

Last edited:
when my guys get a little thin i add cornmeal to their food to put some extra calories in them - i haven't weighed mine, just go my how their keel feels, i feed in deep bowls- also a regular worming schedule and routine check for mites

Anybody bathe their chickens? We clean cinnamon's chest every night but she has some dried mash on her back and head and just smells like she needs a bath. Just wondering if I should do anything special? Not sure if it's bad to wet all their feathers? Probably just plain water right? She lives indoors so it's not like she needs moisture wicking for her feathers but I don't want to mess with her skin or anything...

Anybody bathe their chickens? We clean cinnamon's chest every night but she has some dried mash on her back and head and just smells like she needs a bath. Just wondering if I should do anything special? Not sure if it's bad to wet all their feathers? Probably just plain water right? She lives indoors so it's not like she needs moisture wicking for her feathers but I don't want to mess with her skin or anything...
yep i do- ginger particularly needs a couple baths a week, if the fermented feed does dry, i have to use pliers to squish it to break it off, its like cement

i use dawn or baby shampoo and put her in the tub- she hates baths, but i found the best thing for her is the sprayer held close under her chin, she doesn't fight that as bad, and i also monitor her vent for build up since she can't preen well

Hi, one of the Easter Egger chicks I got this Spring has turned out to be a cross beak. In researching the topic, I came across the name Freaky Beaky here on BYC and got a kick out of it so that's what I named her
smile.png

She's keeping up in size with the others, seems to be eating/drinking okay so far. Once I realized she was a crossbeak I immediately starting wetting their food and switched to a deep bowl. I've trimmed the "hook" on her top beak twice already, she's about 7-8 wks old now.

My question is what's the best tool to snip that hook off? I've used nail clippers the past two times, but I know as she grows that isn't going to continue working. I'm not comfortable using a dremel on her.

i have heard of people using a pedipaws trimmer, i use a file or fingernail clippers, i don't trim often, unless they are having eating issues

I'm only planning on trimming often while she's young, in hopes it helps keep it a bit under control better while she's growing. Once she's mature I won't unless she's having a bit of eating troubles.

Back
Top Bottom