Diatomaceous Earth - how often to use?

MiaLila

In the Brooder
May 11, 2018
Hi,

We recently had an infestation of red mite. We couldn't fumigate the chicken house as we had a goose sitting on eggs the other side of the wooden wall.

We burnt all the bedding and nest boxes and blow torched the walls, ceiling and floor. We then cleaned with poultry shield and dusted with diatomaceous earth.

We repeated the poultry shield and diatomaceous earth a week later. So far no sign of mites.

My question is - does anyone regularly dust with DE to keep mites at bay, and if so how often?

I have read several threads on here and I realise that some people wouldn't use DE for any reason, but, conversely, others seem to think it is worthwhile using.

Chris

Good job on the cleaning.
It is a personal choice.
When I do a thorough cleaning, I dust cracks and crevices with DE and put a layer on the roosts before I put down new bedding.
If I see any parasites, which I almost never have, I bring out the big guns and get it taken care of.

Idk where red mites come from I assume they ride in on new plants we bring home.

I'm in the learning phase with this use of DE as well. I see great results from people that use it so I'm giving it a try. I hate those red mites! Mostly because they go unnoticed and cause big issues. I'm alternating DE and AG lime when I clean out our stalls and other areas. I like the pellet lime better than the powder AG lime but your asking about DE which is only powder form. I feel DE is much safer than lime at least for every creature bigger than a pebble. So I have no issue using DE when needed or as suggested above under each layer of new bedding.

I was checking around the enclosure last night and I saw some crawling on the top part or at least I think it was. Today I put DE in their sandbox that has peat moss and I sprinkled it around the bottom of coop. Tomorrow in the morning I am putting it in the area where they sleep(dusting bars and mixing with bedding). It will have all day to air out.

Can I use de around ducks--like in their house?

I have tons of birds everywhere. There will not be a way to avoid it.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that wild birds carry red mite, and since the sparrows frequently visit the chickens I can see that as a way for the red mite to occur.

I have heavy song bird presence, some clearly with parasites. Red mites have yet to hit my birds. Something may not be right with respect to roosting setup for red mites to get abundant.

Back
Top Bottom