Diatomaceous Earth Question

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Tenderft chick, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Tenderft chick

Tenderft chick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Hi, I just bought some DE from Menards, want to make sure this would be ok to use in the coop? I added the link from the supplier with their information on the product.

http://www.stgl.us/gstore/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=&idproduct=4023

My next question is - what is the best way to apply this in and around the coop to keep the flies and pests down? Does this help with the smell at all?

Thanks.

2. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    Same stuff I have... I bought food grade and am feeding to the dogs and cats as well.
    Sprinkled it in the coop, but don't know how well it works yet... it hasn't been that long.

3. Tenderft chick

Tenderft chick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    What is the best way to spread around coop.?

My one dog loves to eat chicken poop, should I be concerned if she gets in the coop for dessert/snacks if I am using this type of DE as shown in first note?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Even humans ingest food grade DE (though I am skeptical of any benefits there), so it's safe for your dog, yes. I use a parmesan cheese shaker to sprinkle it in nests and under the roost occasionally. It only helps with odors in that it dries out poop, not that it has any deodorizing effect on its own, per se. Dry is always better.

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    You shouldn't inhale large amounts of DE, even food grade. Like most powdered substances (even sugar), your lungs won't appreciate it. Just wear a painter's face mask while you sprinkle it around the bedding.

It works perfectly, you'll love it. I've never had a mite on my chickens.

6. SueSteeves

SueSteeves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I use an old flour sifter to spread it around the coop, a little in the nest box and a light sprinkling over the whole area with extra special attention to favorite poop spots. I have noticed a large difference in both smells and bugs since I started using DE with a bit of Sweet PDZ under the shaving everytime I clean out the coop as well. I is a magic combo over here [​IMG] And so long as it is food grade anyone can ingest it so don't worry about your dog (mine loves chicken poo treats as well!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by