Diatomaceous Earth Source?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by thebirdguy, Aug 12, 2011.

1. thebirdguy

thebirdguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2010
    Idaho Falls
    So I now own goats as well as all the birds and since we are a certified organic farm have to be careful of medicines etc... I was told that Diatomaceous Earth worked as a wormer on goats.. I've read a lot about the benefits with chickens etc on BYC and have decided to get some to use as a feed supplement.

Where is the best and least expensive place to buy it?

Thanks!!

2. clanreed

clanreed Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Valleyford, WA
    We also have goats and have only ever used diatomaceous earth as a wormer. We also have used it topically on their coat to prevent lice or mites in the winter. Has always worked great for us.

We purchase our DE from Azure Standard. http://www.azurestandard.com/ We are near Spokane, WA and they have a regular drop point here. If we order $50 or more then there is no delivery fee. They sell a 50lb bag of DE for about $17. We also order Kelp for the goats from them.

You need to "create and account" with them to view their prices and see their drop points(they do have a drop point in Idaho Falls). Once you create an account click on "Catalogs and Publications" and "view all". From there you can download a Schedule of Deliveries for your area.

Good luck,
    Shannon

3. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Quote:Thanks for the great info! I posted about this a while back so I am glad to finally have an answer! [​IMG] Here in Spokane I can only find the DE that is sold as a pesticide and isn't food grade.

4. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Quote:Thanks for the great info! I posted about this a while back so I am glad to finally have an answer! [​IMG] Here in Spokane I can only find the DE that is sold as a pesticide and isn't food grade.

You must use the food grade. It will say on it Codex/food grade. This is essential because the other maybe similar to the type that is used in swimming pool filters and is heat and chemical treated. Only food grade DE should be used around animals. If you can't get it locally you can find it on the internet. Here's a link from Amazon; http://www.amazon.com/Perma-Guard-Diatomaceous-Earth-Food-Grade/dp/B002XMTXX8

5. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Most feed stores have food grade DE for around 18.00 (give or take) for a 50# bag.....

Edit because.....

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  6. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

When I called to see if a certain store carried DE, I was told they don't carry organic (which was fine with me as we aren't organic). So I don't know if there's organic vs non organic-another thing to think about since you're certified organic.

7. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
  8. jbs

jbs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Maryland
    I got a 50lb bag from Countryside Organics in VA for around $25. The bag indicates that it's food grade and OMRI listed. Shipping to idaho would probably be expensive, so hopefully you can find a closer source. I think that Peaceful Valley in CA carries it as well. Good luck.

9. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I just ordered some here: https://www.earthworkshealth.com/products.php

The
    shipping was a little expensive, but where I live I have to drive about 45 minutes to find a place that has organic feed and so forth, so I justified the cost of shipping by factoring in 1.5 hours of my time plus several gallons of gas and figured it was worth it.

10. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Quote:Not in my neck of the woods unfortunately. Not one darn feed store here (that I've found anyway) has it. I can only get it online.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by