Diatomaceous Earth, WHO USES IT?

We have a raised floor coop. ( nearly 30 inches off the ground in some places) we put DE under the coop because thats were they seem to like to do the dust bath thing and lay around in the heat of the day. I haven't put it in the food yet I'm guessing that we will start that too.

I have sprinkled it in the coop, nest boxes and food. I have not put too much around because I wasn't sure exactly how much. So, I have been on the lean side. Should I use it in the run too? I heard it will get slimmy if I put it in the run. Thoughts?

To nancy1zak,

I use it too. I wouldn't put it in the run, because rain or dew will clump it or make it slimy & it won't go onto your chickens right... BUT, it also kills all the bugs in the run. Not what your chickens would want, certainly.
It has microscopic sharp points and it cuts insects & dries them out. I think it cuts the chitin as well as worms' skin (?)
Even if you have sand, not good to use outside except in a dust bath area.

It's plenty good on the floor of a coop to keep away breeding populations of mites & lice . It works on your chickens & in the food every few days or week --I just use a pinch-- to prevent internal parasites.

Be careful not to inhale much of it. Wear a dust mask while dusting your chickens, and don't hold them near your face for a couple days after.

I use "food grade" Diatomaceous Earth, too. It's wonderful!
clap.gif
I even dust it in their nesting boxes to keep out ants, bugs, and they get it on themselves which prevents mites and such.
big_smile.png
I get mine where you buy livestock feed... Cost about $25.00 for a 50 lb. bag.. Go for it..
thumbsup.gif

I use this daily. I buy 50 pound sacks from the feed store, I think it's about $18.00.
I use it everytime it rains around all the coops. I put it in my quails trays in the bottoms of their pens so no nasty bugs can grow. I sprinkle it all in the barn, it really keeps the flies away and I use it on the fire ant piles. I keep it in all nest boxes, and all the hens favorite dust bath spots in the yard.
It is well worth the money.

DE is good to use as a prevention, but it will not treat an infestation of mites or lice. I use it, and I like it. If ever you have an infestation you really need to use a chemical treatment to get rid of them. I like the drying effect of the DE. It keeps the poop dried up, as well as keeps the bugs and insects down. I also use it in the dust bath areas. Heck, I figure it can't hurt, and it just might help!

To Bantyshanty...I have been putting about a tablespoon in per scoop of feed. They only eat about 1 scoop a day. Is that too much? Should I only use it once a week? I just started using it on Saturday. I purchased food grade organic DE from amazon. It says it is good for animals and has a dog on the label. I haven't used it directly on the chickens. I also purchased Poultry Protector to spray on them to prevent mites, lice, etc. The chickens aren't in contact with any other animals...can they get lice, mites, etc...if they are just with each other?

Back
Top Bottom