Should I get rid of Diamataceous Earth?

Robert Kazlauski

Chirping
Nov 9, 2023
Please help this newbie. I am about to put my 4 eighteen week old pullets outside. I went to TSC today and bought Diamataceous Earth because I read it was good to treat and prevent lice, mites, etc. My hens are free of all of that but I thought it would be a great prevention. Once home, I saw on Google that it was not good for chickens! It caused respiratory problems in chickens. Humans? Asthma also? I am afraid to use it to prevent lice and mites. They did not have First Saturday Lime. Is that better? Where can I get it? TSC only sells it online. What do i do with the DE?

Some chickens, like mine, use it to take dust baths. I use it all the time. In the coop, run, on plants. Whether related to chickens or not, it’s a great product. O e heard some say it’s bad for respiratory, but not like we’re are snorting it like….you know.
You can’t always believe everything you read on Google. Usually it’s Silica that some Diamataceous Earth have that cause the respiratory issues.
I mean, it’s (some) are food grade. Edible. So if that’s the case….
Know what I mean?

Please help this newbie. I am about to put my 4 eighteen week old pullets outside. I went to TSC today and bought Diamataceous Earth because I read it was good to treat and prevent lice, mites, etc. My hens are free of all of that but I thought it would be a great prevention. Once home, I saw on Google that it was not good for chickens! It caused respiratory problems in chickens. Humans? Asthma also? I am afraid to use it to prevent lice and mites. They did not have First Saturday Lime. Is that better? Where can I get it? TSC only sells it online. What do i do with the DE?
It's snakeoil bring it back if you can. If you would like to give them a round of something just to make yourself feel better dust them once in sevens dust. Just cause they going outside doesn't mean they gonna get something. I'd be more concerned that they have and are kept in a dry environment due to cocci buildup. Since they have not been outside on natural ground or been with a momma hen they have not had a chance to build a resistance to cocci and could get an overload if their ground area is wet (like after rains and such). Look out for telltale signs like lethargy and a puffed up look like they are cold.

Last edited:
Like @Roosterinthecity suggested... it depends on the grade of the Diamataceous Earth you bought. For example, a coarse grade is used in filters for swimming pools; and a fine grade is used in hydroponics for growing plants. I also use Diamataceous Earth all the time on my plants and in my dove loft.

Last edited:
What do i do with the DE?
Take it back and get a refund, use the money to buy some permethrin dust or spray to have on hand in case your birds do get lice/mites.
There's no real preventative for lice and mites, but if they do get them(usually due to wild birds in run/coop) it's good to have on hand.
Do not use insecticides for prevention because it can cause resistance, then it won't work if you do get an infestation.

Check them regularly for bugs:
Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Take it back and get a refund, use the money to buy some permethrin dust or spray to have on hand in case your birds do get lice/mites.
There's no real preventative for lice and mites, but if they do get them(usually due to wild birds in run/coop) it's good to have on hand.
Do not use insecticides for prevention because it can cause resistance, then it won't work if you do get an infestation.

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008
wow. thanks for a lot of good info

wow. thanks for a lot of good info

very helpful info. thank you

If you look under @aart's name you'll notice a black tag that says "BYC Educator." That means she's a trusted source of information and knows what she's talking about. That title is not given lightly around here.

Back
Top Bottom