About (food grade) Diatomaceous Earth

Papaye

Chirping
Nov 22, 2023
France
Hi!

So...
I kind of did not know where to post that...

...I noticed (some) Americans seem to like using chemical products to heal their chickens... am I wrong...?
But elsewhere in the world, we don't have always access to these chemical products... and when we do, they can be ridiculously expensive for what they are...

Thus, naturally, a lot of us tend then to use natural products to help our animals... Could probably even tell it's cultural in certain places, you know...? That's to the extend that, if we could freely choose between natural products and chemical products, some generally would naturally be more interested by the natural ones...
And obviously, these ones would use what they know would work. (They would not be more stupid than others just because they used natural treatments - rather than chemical ones - for their animals... right?)

So... I don't know... look to me like some people - I think "some Americans", but certainly others too? - are skeptical to the efficacy of the products some of us use with success?
...And I wonder why?
Is it because chemical treatments are more accessible to them, and so they did not even try the natural ones?
Or would it be because these people did try the natural ones, but really did not have any success by using them...?

My post here would, in fact, be exclusively concerning food grade Diatomaceous Earth :
I just don't understand how a product in which I am so satisfied with could have its efficacy be considered as a myth by some people...?

To explain myself...

I use regurlaly food grade Diatomaceous Earth for my chickens and my ducks, and I have personally always had been satisfied with that.

I am used to rub Diatomaceous Earth on and in the feathers of my chickens, so I can get rid of lice/mites.
I always have 100% success rate by doing that : each time I put DE on my chickens, they don't have lice/mites anymore!

But I also put Diatomaceous Earth in my chickens and ducks food... (Always in PLASTIC feeders, since I don't know if it's dangerous or not to put DE in metal feeders.)
Indeed, I noticed I have had no more worms in my chickens droppings since I put DE in their food! That's a fact...
Also, Diatomaceous Earth seems to be good for my birds general health : since my birds have it mixed in their feed, the hens lay eggs with harder (to break) eggshells, and don't even lay small eggs or eggs without eggshell anymore... So, we could tell they just are healthier...?

...Actually, I could even (barely) save a DYING rooster's life after using DE...

The day I brought him home, at the beginning of July, this rooster was literally dying.
He was a 3-years-old Orpington, but he was so skinny and light I was pretty sure I would find him dead the next morning... It was really painful to see him like that. Also to hear him : he had a very plaintive voice - like he was whining, you know...?

But still, I tried to help him.

First : I took him in my shower to wash him with "Savon Noir" and warm water, in order to see if I could find quickly what his problem was...
And I really found it : when I dried him next with the hair dryer, a lots of lice/mites had fallen on the floor! Some was dead, some was still alive...

Thus, second : I took time to look carefully at his feathers, and I discovered the BIGGEST lice/mites infestation I had ever seen in my life!

I did not even know if I could really save him, since he has much too difficulties to walk and to carry his own weight...
But I tried at least.

So, third : once he was dry, I took him in his run (isolated from my other birds), and I put a lot of - really an excessively lot of - Diatomaceous Earth on him. (I kind of panicked, so I just prefered to put more DE than needed rather than not enough...)
I put goggles and masks on, and I rubbed all of his feathers with DE. Trying to avoid his eyes of course...!!
I also thought to cover the ground in the run with Diatomaceous Earth...

Next, I put Cade Oil on his legs... In prevention against scaly leg mites, but also because lice/mites HATES the smell of Cade Oil. So, I thought it could only help with the infestation!

In addition... I also mixed Diatomaceous Earth in his food (I gave him Premium Mix to make him want to eat), in case he would have had worms/parasites, but also because DE is renowned good for health.
And I also put Apple Cider Vinegar in his water (in a plastic waterer), in order to boost his immune system.

...In spite of that, he was so weakened he became blind before the night.
I'm pretty sure he also became deaf, since he did not respond to my voice or to whatever sound anymore...
...Because of that, I really thought he was lost, so I just left him alone for the night, without even putting him in the coop : I thought if he was dying, he would prefer to die in the run than in the coop...? Since he was blind and all...

But the next day, the rooster was still alive and could walk again!!
When I noticed he had also begun to see and hear again, I was really surprised : I did not know a blind bird could regain sight like that!

He could also drink and eat, but less than what I wanted him to... So, I gave him some melon and watermelon to keep him hydrated and to make him want to eat more...

...The next day (so the third day), I did not put Apple Cider Vinegar in his water : instead, I put Olive Oil.

But the next days...? I did not put anything in his water!
And then : step by step, day by day, he was getting better! Could walk freely, took some weight... Even his voice was sounding healthier! (Even though he would/could not crow.)
Before that, he was dying of lice/mite infestations!!

And of course, after some days - once he was sufficiently healthy looking - I put Diatomaceous Earth on him again... just in case the lice/mites eggs hatched...

DSC06882.JPG

When I gave him back to his owner, he was heavier, healthy again, and looked a lot of more happy!
(His owner was impressed... He was also happy I told him his rooster had lice/mites infestation, because he could then treat his place and his birds against lice/mites...)

...So...
With this kind of experience, I can not understand why people would say the efficacy of food grade Diatomaceous Earth is a myth...?

I mean... I personally always had a 100% success rate with its use? I get rid of lice/mites infestations only by using this product...

I am so satisfied with DE I also now use it in my ducklings' food.
Because I noticed the ducklings that I mixed Diatomaceous Earth in the feed from the first weeks of their life are more... healthy?

I mean... for my first ducklings ever : I had 6 eggs that hatched, and only 4 ducklings that survived.
One of the ducklings was sadly accidentaly crushed by his mama-hen, but the other was clearly not crushed : I just found him dead a morning... He was 2-3-weeks-old... Looked like he has a stroke, but since there was a big storm then... maybe he died of fright?

But fact is : all my next ducklings have been being feed with Diatomaceous Earth mixed in their food since they were 3-weeks-old (even though some of the ducklings were on the bigger side, and so, had access to their mama-hen "DE mixed pellets" before they were 3-weeks-old)... and they seem just more energetic, healthy looking, vertical (they are runner ducks) than their older siblings...
And thanksfully, I did not have even one duckling dying among these ones... even the smallest of them!
...Would it be just a coincidence? (I really don't know, but I would at least think DE to be good for their growth...? Could, maybe, prevent Niacin deficiency...?)

I won't decide who is right or who is wrong about the efficacy of DE...
I just have my experiences with it. It's worth what it's worth...

But since I'm personally so satisfied with food grade Diatomaceous Earth, I just... would like to know why some people just say it doesn't work...?
I'm really just curious... There are to be a reason, right?

And specifically : why exactly do some people tell DE is not a dewormer?
After all, there are testimonies of people using DE to deworm themselves, with success if they are not lying... right?

(...If you have experience with DE and the product worked for your birds, please tell and give details.
I would be especially interested by testimonies of people who mix Diatomaceous Earth to their chicks or ducklings food. Do feeding them DE make any difference in their growth and/or in their health...?
...Thank you!)

Interesting thread. I will be watching it!

As for me, we use food grade DE in a container in the coop. They do not dust bathe in it, but they dip their feet in. It hasn't helped or harmed in any visible way. But, then again, this is my first year keeping chickens, and I don't have much experience.
:idunno

Interesting thread. I will be watching it!

As for me, we use food grade DE in a container in the coop. They do not dust bathe in it, but they dip their feet in. It hasn't helped or harmed in any visible way. But, then again, this is my first year keeping chickens, and I don't have much experience.
:idunno
When I first started out raising chickens, I used DE as well. Then when I saw worms in feces and gave my birds more DE, it did nothing but empty my wallet. ACV is good for certain things, but again, it will not treat nor get rid of worms.
That's when I started using real wormers and I havnt looked back since.

Hello!

@dawg53 :

I would actually use Diatomaceous Earth to treat "a belly full or worms",
yes.
Especially since I don't trust most doctors...
And even if I would like to go to the hospital anyway... the nearer hospital that could treat emergencies is at an hour's drive from my home. And that would be assuming this hospital is not too overcrowed and/or understaffed...!

...Could the Diatamaceous Earth you used be just bad quality?
(Or did you just not give your chickens enough of DE...?)

In my country, La Distillerie des Cévennes makes and sells Cade Oil.
That's a 100% natural product I use mostly in prevention or in treatment of scaly leg mites. But I also use Cade Oil in the treatment of Bumblefoot, or to heal a wound... there are several use, you know?
I always had have 100% success rate with the use of Cade Oil...!

Buuuuuuut... I would not buy Cade Oil that is NOT made by La Distillerie des Cévennes!! I had seen some other Cade Oils sold on the Internet, but since that is not the real product (they were contraband), I would not trust their efficacy...

Do you think your DE just could not be a good one...?

@The Welch Chickens :

Diatomaceous Earth would need to be on your chickens' feathers to help them against lice/mites.

If you let DE on the ground, that would just kill the bugs that touch it... but not the ones that are on your birds and that have no contact with DE.

When my chickens have lice/mites on them, I just rub Diatomaceous Earth on and in their feathers...
Of course being careful to not get DE in their eyes, and trying as much as much possible to proctect them from inhaling DE! (And trying to protect ME too from the same, of course - so masks and goggles on...!!)

I don't know if putting Diatomaceous Earth in their dust bath actually works greatly?
...I would think that would be complicated to put enough DE to actually be so useful...?
(I have NO useful experience with DE in dust baths only : my department is much too humid, and DE works against lice/mites only if it's dry!)

On external application, Diatomaceous Earth can take up to two days to kill lice/mites... (DE hurts them, and dries them up... some bugs are tenacious and survive up to two days!)
But since I was desesperate with the dying rooster, I used much more DE so that could suffocate the bugs... and kill them immediately.
That worked splendidly!

Last edited:
...Also, could somebody have the kindness to tell me if lice and mites are the same?
I'm confused about English here...

For me, lice are not mites; but I found on the Internet that was not the same in English...?
Am I mistaken, or...?

When I write "lice/mites", I think about the same kind of bugs - but different colours or whatever. (All the ones that we can see with the naked eye, you know...?)
I don't use "mites" here thinking about the mites from "scaly leg mites", that are different... I actually think only about lice (we call them "poux" in my country, while mites would be referred by "acariens" - speaking about "gale des pattes" or "gale déplumante" concerning our chickens).

Sorry, I'm just confused about vocabulary here, because I read some people referring to what I would call "lice" by "mites"...

@Papaye :frow Welcome from New Orleans. I have found your thread a very interesting read. I always enjoy learning about different cultures. I have never used DE because I am concerned for my Chickens respiratory system as well as my own and DH's. As far as using a mask, I would think you would need an N-95 mask. The masks used by most people during Covid really did not do any good, as they do not make a closed area around your mouth and nose. Those small gaps allow things like dust and smaller particles get into your respiratory system and in the case of DE, cause havoc within that system. And, of course there isn't any way that I know of to keep DE out of your chickens' respiratory system.
I'd like to continue to follow this thread and hear what you and others have to say and if anyone else is concerned about DE causing respiratory issues for their chickens and them selves, if DE works for chicken lice problems.

@Papaye
Hello!

@dawg53 :

I would actually use Diatomaceous Earth to treat "a belly full or worms",
yes.
Especially since I don't trust most doctors...
THIS says it all. No more explaining yourself.

Here's a link for you to help you ID lice and mites, pics included:
Kill them with Permethrin dust or liquid concentrate, do the coops as well. You want to go natural? Bathe them in a sink containing a dish washing liquid, then rinse. Remove bedding in coops, nest boxes and spray bleach water inside coops. Repeat in 10 days.
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/IG140
Red mites are particularly dangerous because they can pass spirochetes into the chickens bloodstream.

Last edited:
Last edited:
@Ursuline Chick :

Hi! Thank you!
(I love your pseudo.)

The fact chickens could breath Diatomaceous Earth is the only thing I don't like about this product...
But I'm lucky to live in a very windy place. So, I can at least make use of the wind when I put DE on the chickens by doing it opposite to the way the wind is blowing...!

I also put not one, but two masks when doind so! (I have asthma, so I have to be very careful...)
(Once, but really just when I put DE on the dying rooster, I was using so much of it I breathed it in spite of the masks...)

We need to be careful with Diatomaceous Earth, but we need to be careful with ALL products; so...
And personally, I am not above taking risks to use products that could hurt my animals if they are dying anyway and these same products could save their life, you know...?
Especially since the risks are less compared to chemicals products...

@dawg53 :

Yes... and you can believe I have my reasons to not trust most doctors...

Thank you!!!
That is what is confusing me...
What you call "red mites" are named "poux rouges" in French... but "poux rouges" should be translated as "red lice"... even though they are "mites" ("acariens").

Thank you. I will remember that now...!

For the Permethrin... yeah, no : I don't know if I could easily find this product in France, but I know I won't even try.
Indeed, I have so much severe allergies now I had to elimate all chemicals products I used before of my life... but even somes NATURAL ones, like Essential Oils (that I was used to put in the coops sometimes, for example)...
Insecticids are a no-no for me. I am now allergic at all the ones I used in the past... Don't want to put my life at risk just to try a new one, you know? (Chemical OR natural...)
Especially while I am not allergic to DE, and it works perfectly for me...

...But thank you!

@SueT :

Thank you!!

Yes, I know my bugs... but in French! Just a vocabulary problem, ah, ah!

Like I answered to @dawg53, the "red mites" - for example - should be "red lice" if I translated that directly from French.
And some people use one or the other on the Internet... so both are used, and I was confused what was the correct vocabulary here... I didn't know what was the term I had to employ in English to refer to "poux rouges"... (But I now know I have to use "red mites", and not "red lice"!)

Also, I won't use Permethrin. Even if there is a possibily I could easily find this product in France... (I live in a remote area, so nothing is certain...)
...I have developed severe allergies (some being respiratory), so I can not use a lot of products I could want to use anymore.
Diatomaceous Earth works for me, so...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom