are her eyes normal like this?

Jenbirdee

Expecting Miracles
Premium Feather Member
Aug 9, 2020
Maryland
i have 2 chocolate orpington hens 20 months old.
When they were about six months old, they had lice, and I stupidly treated them with diatomaceous earth initially. .. before I learned about better treatments (permethrin dust )and stopped using the DE.
I’m still wondering if the DE hurt the eyes of one of my hens because ever since then she only opens her eyes halfway like this (see pictures) but the other hen has bright, round eyes.
Photos of both hens attached.
Several months ago I put some colloidal silver drops in her eyes to see if that would help. I don’t think it made any difference.
Is there anything else that could cause her eyes to always look squinty? or is it permanent damage from the DE? I can only find links about temporary damage from DE , not permanent.
( they are also just finishing up a molt, thus the weird looking white feather sticks on her face)

Attachments

• 0154534C-9FE8-47C0-BDE6-FFC8B0F96C8E.png
    0154534C-9FE8-47C0-BDE6-FFC8B0F96C8E.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 22
  • 31D3D208-9791-42FA-8166-18BC5FC06DDC.png
    31D3D208-9791-42FA-8166-18BC5FC06DDC.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
It is hard to know if something is wrong, but she could have irritation or conjunctivitis. Look carefully into her fully opened eye to look for any debris or foreign body. Use your fingers to open it. I would probably irrigate her eye twice a day with something like Bausch and Lomb Eye Relief (about $4) at Walmart, or saline. Then if it still persists, apply Terramycin Eye ointment or plain Neosporin triple antibiotic ointment twice a day for about 10 days. Note if there is any ammonia fumes in your coop, and make sure bedding is clean and dry with good overhead ventilation.

It is hard to know if something is wrong, but she could have irritation or conjunctivitis. Look carefully into her fully opened eye to look for any debris or foreign body. Use your fingers to open it. I would probably irrigate her eye twice a day with something like Bausch and Lomb Eye Relief (about $4) at Walmart, or saline. Then if it still persists, apply Terramycin Eye ointment or plain Neosporin triple antibiotic ointment twice a day for about 10 days. Note if there is any ammonia fumes in your coop, and make sure bedding is clean and dry with good overhead ventilation.
ok thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom