Sudden lethargic chicken with tiny long white bugs

clkcdavis

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2023
This hen has been fine up until this morning. I found her sitting down, tail drooped, and eyes closed. Upon closer inspection she has these bugs all over her. Her comb is not bright red and she doesn't want to eat or drink. She has been doused with DE. Is there anything else I can be doing for her? I haven't caught any other chickens to check them for bugs (They free range and are hard to catch with an aggressive rooster watching them). Her food is layer pellets with occasional scratch, veggies, and fruit. She is approximately 7 months old.

I haven't caught any other chickens to check them for bugs (They free range and are hard to catch with an aggressive rooster watching them).
Using a flash light (or head lamp) and keeping it dark after roost will make this immensely easier!

Aside from (or in addition to) the bugs.. there may be more things at play.. appetite & crop function/condition should also be assessed. Has she started laying yet, is she pooping still?

My hen died this morning. I've checked other chickens and they don't have the bug problem. Her crop was ok, and she wasn't egg bound. She was anemic (pale comb).

Back
Top Bottom