How to get rid of red mites?!

MaeM

Songster
Dec 9, 2020
I recently took my chronically ill hen Bianca to her annual checkup. There, we discovered that she had red mites. As soon as I went back home, I checked the other hens' feathers and yeah, obviously, they all have red mites.

The vet prescribed Ivermectin to be applied topically in each hen's neck every 20 days, but after two applications, it hasn't worked.

Of course I cleaned the hell out of the coop and run but my hens free roam in a large backyard with grass, etc., so the rest of their environment is hard to control...

Many of you recommend Diatomaceous Earth, but my vet said it is not a good idea because Bianca has "asthma" (not exactly asthma but it works pretty much like human asthma). So we need to avoid dusty stuff like DE as it may irritate her airways / cause an episode.

So if Ivermectin doesn't work, and DE is not an option, what would you recommend?

Red mites are fierce. DE doesn't work and causes respiratory system issues. Good for your vet. Elector PSP is what I've heard that works the best.

Mites hatch out every 5-7 days. With ivermectin, it should be repeated in 10-14 days to get the newly hatched mites. I recommend permethrin 0.5. % spray on the coop, and permethrin garden dust on the chickens. You can use the spray in warm weather on the chickens. The dust works better during cold weather when the chickens could,get chilled. The Permethrin only kills the live mites, not the eggs. So treatment should be done at 7 day intervals at least twice to get the new ones that hatch before they reproduce. But you also need to treat the coop, nest boxes after removing all bedding, and spraying the roosts, nests, and emptied coop. Some use heat guns or pressure washers on the coop to get rid of the mites for the cracks and crevices.

I already deep cleaned the whole coop (including nest box and roosts) with a pressure washer. Didn't work and it makes sense because mites have plenty of other places to hide. But I don't think I can wash the whole backyard, I have at least 25 meters of grass and a little brick floor that I've also deep cleaned but you know what I mean...

The vet advised against trying anything dusty because of Bianca's respiratory condition. Would it be safe to try permethrin spray on the chickens?

The spray when mixed correctly is safe on chickens. Most use 15 ml or 1/2 ounce, but you usually don’t want to get them wet in cold weather.

Some red mites are resistent for known medicines. Thats why the old medicines are no longer allowed in my country.

DE doesn't work and causes respiratory system issues.
DE does work , but needs more work and time. First you have to eliminate all living red mites. The DE only kill the new’born’ mites. Not the adults. I never had trouble with respiratory issues. Just be careful if you put in under the chickens feathers.

There are herbal supplements for sale in EU that make the chickens blood disgusting for mites. It is used in combination with DE spray (or paint).

I already deep cleaned the whole coop (including nest box and roosts) with a pressure washer.
Water doesn’t kill mites. Steam or a burner (careful) works way better.

But I don't think I can wash the whole backyard,
You only need to deepclean the coop. And fill all gaps with a paint DE. Repeat this after 10 days.
Red mites dont live outside in brad daylight

I used permethrin too on one chicken who was broody and kept coming back in coop during the day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom