Blocked/impacted preen gland - has anyone treated this at home?

Baba_Yaga

Chirping
Apr 22, 2023
Hi All,

I've discovered my lovely little hen Brownie has got an infected and blocked preen gland. I've been following the PoultryDVM website advice of hot compresses and massage, however, the swelling is still growing and it's obviously not working. I'm terrified it will rupture at some point. I wondered: has anyone been in this situation and tried resolving this 'at home'? If so, how is it done? I can't see anything about treatment beyond the hot compresses on the forum, apologies if I've missed it. PoultryDVM mentions making an 'incision' but nothing more and I'm nervous to try without further information.

1) What type of bird, age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Brownie is a cross-breed layer and has always been slightly smaller than the others. It's possible she's lost a little weight, but hard to be sure.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. A very swollen and tender preen gland. It is definitely blocked with no oil coming out of it. Generally, she's out of sorts and quieter than usual, but she is still eating ok, free-ranging, and spending time with the others.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? A week as far as I'm aware.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Two more hens have swollen glands, but significantly less so and not blocked - I'm managing these with hot compresses and massage.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. A red mite infestation this summer. I've finally managed to get on top of this with ivermectin and a blow torch. All previous methods didn't work. I'm exhausted, drained, and feel guilty as hell about this :(
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Layer crumble and pellets, oyster grit free choice, scrambled eggs (have added these in since the red mites started for an extra 'boost'), red mite vitamin boost in the water. Also a few blueberries/raspberries/sunflower seeds in the afternoons. Grass and whatever bugs she finds when free-ranging (several hours a day). She's eating and drinking well still.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Bit runny at times but it's been very hot so that might account for it. Most of the time it's normal.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Ivermectin for red mites (I tried Exzolt first, but this didn't work). Baytril for the infection (on day 2 now). Meloxicam (anti-inflammatory painkiller). Emu oil applied directly to the lump.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? If at all possible, I'd like to treat this myself as I don't have an avian vet nearby and the vet bills may be beyond me right now.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Please see attached. The bald patch on Brownie's back is from a fox attack earlier in the year. She recovered fully, thank goodness. She's a real trooper and a brilliant hen, and I desperately want to fix this!
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use Wooden slatted chicken house. Bedding is eucalyptus-infused chopped hemp produced especially for chickens and meant to deter red mites.

Thanks for reading & for any help :)

Attachments

• 20230816_124257.jpg
    20230816_124257.jpg
    670.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 20230816_124444.jpg
    20230816_124444.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230816_124452.jpg
    20230816_124452.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230816_124517.jpg
    20230816_124517.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230816_124522.jpg
    20230816_124522.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I would continue with the warm compresses for 10 min a couple of times a day and some massage. If antibiotics are okay with you, and you can get the Aqua Mox, you can give 50 mg per pound twice a day for 7-10 days. Is she a bantam or a full size hen? For mites I would use permethrin garden dust or the spray once every 7 days until the mites are gone. They hatch every 5 days, and will reproduce in time, so best to get them before they reproduce. Removal of bedding in her coop and treatment there as well. Mites can be very hard to completely get rid of, but hopefully you can. Ivermectin has been used for a long time, so I would check to see that it is working.

I would continue with the warm compresses for 10 min a couple of times a day and some massage. If antibiotics are okay with you, and you can get the Aqua Mox, you can give 50 mg per pound twice a day for 7-10 days. Is she a bantam or a full size hen? For mites I would use permethrin garden dust or the spray once every 7 days until the mites are gone. They hatch every 5 days, and will reproduce in time, so best to get them before they reproduce. Removal of bedding in her coop and treatment there as well. Mites can be very hard to completely get rid of, but hopefully you can. Ivermectin has been used for a long time, so I would check to see that it is working.
Thank you, I'll do that and also try the aqua mox. She's a full sized hen (2.2 kg). I'll try the permethrin, too. I've been using sulfur dust but can switch. There are a lot less mites now but I can't seem to completely clear them. I blow torch the inside of the coop every few days to get any eggs. Its been a nightmare! Thanks again.

Thanks for asking. Can't get aqua mox here in UK or any fish antibiotic, which is frustrating. The gland ballooned so dusted off my credit card and took her to the vet. She lanced it and cleared out a plug of oil then flushed it through. There was no pus (perhaps the Baytril did its job) but it is very inflamed. Right now its still swollen and i can't see or feel any oil coming through yet, but am hoping with the anti-inflammatories this will resolve by itself. Poor Brownie!

Here she is today, scratching around with the others. Seems happier than before. Am keeping a close watch in case it worsens again :)

Attachments

• 16926353124381977999175.jpg
    16926353124381977999175.jpg
    685.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 16926353896232056011796.jpg
    16926353896232056011796.jpg
    759.3 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom