Irritated Skin, Broken Tail Feathers, Red Preen Gland

I treat birds with mites with permethrin and then apply a top dressing of pine tar or a less messy lotion or wound pecking solution or topical medication of some kind. Emu oil is great for healing skin irritation problems on all livestock and keeping wound edges soft for better healing. Aloe vera can be helpful as well for skin issues but may burn raw wounds.

I am of the opinion that the possibility of mites deserves addressing, due to how fast it can get out of control and spread sometimes. Pyrethrum may work or more effective but more toxic permethrin works very well but be careful to mix according to label instructions for treating birds with mites. Permethrin does not hang around a long time and is not too persistent but is very effective used for mites on livestock of all types. In the old days we used pine tar for most everything and it could work on bad spots but could not be applied to the whole bird. It was useful to prevent pecking at bald spots and treating fungus or bacterial infections as well as killing mites under it.
Great thanks for that clear advice!

Thanks for your reply. We don't have a rooster. Looked for mites but didn't see any. Wouldn't mites have spread to the other hens by now? How can we be sure?
I'm having the same problem. I have no answer, I just posted my dilemma, with pictures, I did have a rooster. He was rehomed 10 months ago. Hoping we both can get help here. They don't have mites. It is definitely not mites. I have 9 girls. this is the only one with a problem. Coop cleaned every day. DE applied, etc. I do know this started from rooster. Everyone healed but her??? IDK why.

Attachments

• IMG_9751.jpeg
    IMG_9751.jpeg
    980.3 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom