Irritated Skin, Broken Tail Feathers, Red Preen Gland

CableGriffith

Chirping
May 7, 2021
Burien, WA
Hey everyone,

Hoping for some assessment and/or advice on a skin/feather issue with one of my 1.5 year-old hens.

At the base of her tail, she has some very irritated looking skin at the center of a medium-large "bald spot" with what looks like broken feathers. At first, I though tthere might beb an infected follicle, but I believe the red protrusion is her Preen Gland? Having never seen one before, I don't know if it's supposed to be pink (it's at the top of the affected area in the photos, slightly obscured by feathers).

She's had this for over a month now, and it doesn't appear to getting any better. We've tried applying Neosporin to the red skin, but don't know if that's doing anything.

Any ideas what's going on here? And what we can do to help her? Other than this, she seems totally normal.

Thanks in advance!
C

Attachments

• IMG_0250.jpeg
    IMG_0250.jpeg
    511.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0253.jpeg
    IMG_0253.jpeg
    601.3 KB · Views: 21
Mites can be tiny and hard to see especially after burrowing into the skin. I would treat for them when in doubt. Also I will say broken tail feathers are common after a bird has been attacked and survived the attack of a mammalian predator or in a bad attack by other chickens. I have had one hen have problems with mites repeatedly while others in the same coop are OK. The mites can explode suddenly and hit most of the birds. Free range or wild birds in the coop or rodents can bring on the infestation at any time. Good luck with your hen!

Mites can be tiny and hard to see especially after burrowing into the skin. I would treat for them when in doubt. Also I will say broken tail feathers are common after a bird has been attacked and survived the attack of a mammalian predator or in a bad attack by other chickens. I have had one hen have problems with mites repeatedly while others in the same coop are OK. The mites can explode suddenly and hit most of the birds. Free range or wild birds in the coop or rodents can bring on the infestation at any time. Good luck with your hen!
Thanks, I will try treating for mites. Do you have a recommended product for that?

Also, I should say that this particular hen is definitely at the bottom of the pecking order. Although I haven't seen it happen personally, could it mostly be just the other hens picking her feathers out?

That's the only place she has feather loss?

The preen gland looks o.k. from what I can tell. The feathers are broken and the follicles are intact in the skin, the feathers will not be replaced until she molts. Skin looks relatively clean and healthy, I don't see anything too concerning, it is a bit red, but likely that's from exposure.

If it's getting no worse, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. If she's digging at her skin, then apply some Nu Stock cream to help soothe the skin, but she's going to be bald for a while depending on her age and the season you're in.

I should of added that hens may break off their own tail feathers when they have mites, due to the extreme irritation they cause the victim. They will strip off the feathers or break them off trying to get at the mites. It can appear like they are being cannibalized by other chickens at times , it can become so severe. It also may attract other chickens to peck at the red sore spot and begin cannibalism.

That's the only place she has feather loss?

The preen gland looks o.k. from what I can tell. The feathers are broken and the follicles are intact in the skin, the feathers will not be replaced until she molts. Skin looks relatively clean and healthy, I don't see anything too concerning, it is a bit red, but likely that's from exposure.

If it's getting no worse, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. If she's digging at her skin, then apply some Nu Stock cream to help soothe the skin, but she's going to be bald for a while depending on her age and the season you're in.
Thanks, that is somewhat comforting to hear. I will try applying the Nu Stock cream. Appreciate the suggestion!

I should of added that hens may break off their own tail feathers when they have mites, due to the extreme irritation they cause the victim. They will strip off the feathers or break them off trying to get at the mites. It can appear like they are being cannibalized by other chickens at times , it can become so severe. It also may attract other chickens to peck at the red sore spot and begin cannibalism.
Yikes!

Thanks, I will try treating for mites. Do you have a recommended product for that?

Also, I should say that this particular hen is definitely at the bottom of the pecking order. Although I haven't seen it happen personally, could it mostly be just the other hens picking her feathers out?
I am of the opinion that the possibility of mites deserves addressing, due to how fast it can get out of control and spread sometimes. Pyrethrum may work or more effective but more toxic permethrin works very well but be careful to mix according to label instructions for treating birds with mites. Permethrin does not hang around a long time and is not too persistent but is very effective used for mites on livestock of all types. In the old days we used pine tar for most everything and it could work on bad spots but could not be applied to the whole bird. It was useful to prevent pecking at bald spots and treating fungus or bacterial infections as well as killing mites under it.

Back
Top Bottom