Has anyone ever been able to get rid of northern fowl mites?

The common roost mite hides in the coop during the daylight time, then gets on the birds at night in the dark. The northern fowl mites are on the chickens 24/7.

The common roost mite hides in the coop during the daylight time, then gets on the birds at night in the dark. The northern fowl mites are on the chickens 24/7.
The Mites are on the chickens 24/7 but on the coop as well. Whenever I hold the chickens, my hands become covered in mites. Whenever I touch the chicken coop, there will also be mites on my hands.

I feel for you. This is going to take a lot of persistent treatment. Hopefully, you can get them under control. What type of bedding are you using in your coop, and what is the coop made of? I would spray under and around the coop as well. Check the chickens once a weeks for any mites on them. I am not a fan of DE, but in this case, it might be good to apply some to the floor before you put new bedding inside. Some people use a whitewash on wood in side coops and roosts. It is an old fashioned coating, but may help prevent mites in older wood. There are recipes online, and one here on BYC. Sulfur powder is a good miteacide, and could be something to also consider using inside the coop bedding.

I feel for you. This is going to take a lot of persistent treatment. Hopefully, you can get them under control. What type of bedding are you using in your coop, and what is the coop made of? I would spray under and around the coop as well. Check the chickens once a weeks for any mites on them. I am not a fan of DE, but in this case, it might be good to apply some to the floor before you put new bedding inside. Some people use a whitewash on wood in side coops and roosts. It is an old fashioned coating, but may help prevent mites in older wood. There are recipes online, and one here on BYC. Sulfur powder is a good miteacide, and could be something to also consider using inside the coop bedding.
We use the eco flake shavings with nesting pads in the nest boxes. The coop is made from cedar wood. I have been useing DE under the bedding since before I had issues with mites, so I’m not sure if it really does anything.

UPDATE:
We have replaced all the bedding in the coop and run.
Our local exotic pet vet prescribed permethrin with instructions to dilute in water to treat the coop every week, and to use the same solution to treat the birds every 2 weeks. We completed our first treatment of both the hens and the coop yesterday. Feeling hopeful this will be the solution!

UPDATE:
We have replaced all the bedding in the coop and run.
Our local exotic pet vet prescribed permethrin with instructions to dilute in water to treat the coop every week, and to use the same solution to treat the birds every 2 weeks. We completed our first treatment of both the hens and the coop yesterday. Feeling hopeful this will be the solution!
Hopefully, this will at least control them for now. It would be good if they don’t come back. Let us know how they get along.

I've been struggling with northern fowl mites for some time now. I treated the coop with elector psp a few months back, and washed all the birds in a salt bath. However, the mites returned full strength a few weeks ago and seem to increasing in number very quickly. Anytime I touch the coop, mites come streaming onto my hands and up my arms. Starting to become desperate...Has anyone ever been able to defeat Northern Fowl Mites? Any success stories and advice would be incredibly helpful as I'm at a loss on what to do.
I use diatomaceous earth food grade even for 1 mite. Put it on the floor trays,, in the dust baths and see 1 give her a massage getting the diatomaceous down to the skin. Check her in 2 days and the next if any diatomaceous earth again.

Back
Top Bottom