Ivermectin, permethrin, diatomaceous earth not working for mite infestation!

Holly67

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 12, 2017
My 8 year-old arthritic Maran hen has a stubborn mite infection that just won't stop! I picked up "Happy Jack" flea and tick powder (active ingredient permethrin) from the vet and alternate it with Ivermectin -- 4 or 5 drops I think. Actually, I am surpassing that amount because it's doing so little. Also, dusting her with diatomaceous earth. At this point, I'm putting one or more of these things on her every couple of days and I still see many little black, fast moving "dots" on my hands and they like to hang out at the end of her tail feathers by the hundreds suggesting they're trying to move away from the poison (??) yet are still not dying! I am, of course, also cleaning her environment the best I can, and dusting with permethrin and DE.

I don't know if it's possible they are something else?? The vet examined my birds last summer and said they were mites and that the flea and tick powder should be "one and done" or at the very most I'd need to do another application a week later to kill the eggs. I suppose I should call the vet today too.

I'm worried about toxicity at this point and I know DE is hard on chickens' respiratory system. And she's is elderly. If not for the mites, I'd be inviting her into the house to warm her arthritic bones and to give her companionship (she's my last girl, all her sisters are gone now) but when I do, my house becomes infected and I get bit all night long. (I'm happy I've learn how uncomfortable it is!) I am in tears and feel like I'm failing her… she's my last chicken, and I want whatever precious time she has left to be comfortable, and I want to be able to spend time with her.

Any help greatly appreciated.

treatments.jpg

That’s very odd, ivermectin should work for blood-sucking mites because it goes into the blood. I would stop with the DE. You could try liquid permethrin (the dust you have is probably diluted, so isn’t as strong).

Give her a very warm soapy bath with dawn dish soap making sure all her body and feathers are soapy wet. You will need to massage her follicle feather base. This will help to dislodge the eggs. Rinse well with warm water, wrap her in a towel hold her to wick the moisture to the towel. Leave her under a heat lamp to dry throughly. Don't put her back where she was living till you sterilize that area. Clean it with soapy bleach water. It kills all insects.

Give her garlic powder or granules in her food, just a pinch, twice a day. It won't kill the mites but it will deter them. Also, give her a pinch of powdered, buffered, vitamin C twice a day. Vitamin C is very helpful with arthritis, and with enhancing the ability to fight parasites. I use it on my rescue dogs for demodectic mange (caused by mites) and it works better than Ivermectin.

You want the 13.3 Martins permethrin from TSC.
Mix 1oz per gallon water.
My "dip" is 3 gallons of warm water in a 5 gallon bucket with 3 1/2 oz of permethrin. The next day i dip the bird in a bucket of antifungal /antimicrobial soapy water. (protech mane & tail medicated). The next day i rub the feet,waddles, comb with oil. You then have to spray every possible square inch of the coop, roost, nest box, poop board , floor, walls... with permethrin mixed @ 1 1/2 oz per gallon every two weeks for two months (4 times).
No way that fails.
1701813037573.png

Ivermectin is effective getting rid of mites that live on the chicken (under the skin and feather shaft) Mites that live in the coop and feed off the chickens at night respond better to permethrin.Dips of permethrin are effective in getting rid of both but cold weather limits its use.

That’s very odd, ivermectin should work for blood-sucking mites because it goes into the blood. I would stop with the DE. You could try liquid permethrin (the dust you have is probably diluted, so isn’t as strong).
Thank you for your advice. The ivermectin drops I'm putting on her skin should then go systemic, is that correct? If that's right, I really should be careful with toxicity. Today will be very full, but I can call my vet Thursday morning. Some sort of switch up needs to happen.

Wow, half awake with coffee in hand, just seeing all of the replies that came in. Thank you so much. I was wondering if it's bathtime for her! I've never given a chicken a bath before I imagine is would be best to have a neighbor help hold her steady and keep the wings from flapping while I gently wash and massage.

4 or 5 drops I think. Actually, I am surpassing that amount because it's doing so little.
It's probably not working because you aren't using enough of it. How much does she weigh? If she were mine I would apply no less than 0.05 ml per pound of body weight and not more than 0.1 ml per point of body weight.

Thank you for your advice. The ivermectin drops I'm putting on her skin should then go systemic, is that correct? If that's right, I really should be careful with toxicity. Today will be very full, but I can call my vet Thursday morning. Some sort of switch up needs to happen.
You can get permethrin spray at a farm store or online. If you use the permethrin spray you can just give her a bath in that.

Back
Top Bottom