QUESTIONS FOR PEOPLE EXPERIENCED WITH PERMETHRIN DIP FOR MITES

Alexxxdimmm

In the Brooder
Sep 30, 2023
Summary: I have 19 chickens that have mites and intend to dip them in permethrin and have questions regarding the situation. If you wish, skip to MY QUESTIONS at the bottom. Also, my qualifier is not meant to be rude, but I am looking for experience and help and knowledge. Not opinions, not guesses, not what you have heard.

Summary: I have chickens that have mites and intend to dip them in permethrin and have questions regarding the situation.

SITUATION - HOW I DISCOVERED THE MITES
19 chickens, in south CA, A few days ago I reached under 1 hen that has gone broody to get the daily eggs, i pulled my hand n eggs out and it was crawling with mites. I would say, 50 to 100 on my hand. IDK how I didnt notice them before. The birds have a few boxes for eggs, 2 of my birds are broody and basically living in the box more or less. I inspected other birds and they have mites as well. The mites, some are smaller than fleas, and the larger ones are about the size of a flea, they are not fleas. but they are gray or black. The chickens free range, have 2 different roosting areas, but are not in a coop. The birds do not have any visible physical problems that i have seen on the internet. No leg issues, no facial deterioration, just on their skin. I believe there has been a drastic decline in egg production though, which is common.

MY PROPOSED SOLUTION
I plan to make a permethrin dip, I purchased Martins 13.3 percent and will dip them and then spray where they roost. I tossed the infested boxes.

MY QUESTIONS

1. Solution Mixture Ratio - I plan to use 1 to 2 tablespoons per gallon of water, using approx 5 gallons water total. Does that sound correct for a concentrate 13.3 percent solution? I will also be spraying the roosing area.
2. How long after dipping the chickens, for the mites die?
3. Do I need to do any follow up with them? Should I re-dip the chickens again in a week or two?
4. Should I do anything else? I saw someone putting Ivermectin drops on chickens after this procedure, does anyone have experience with this?
5. I dont usually eat my chickens but, so I know, are they safe to eat with mites? Is there a length of time I should wait to eat them after i use the Permethrin dip?
6. do mites make the eggs unsafe to eat for any reason?
7. How long after the permethrin dip will be able to eat the eggs again safely?

If you can answer any of these questions thank you.

i can answer a few of these as i have had to do this before

People recommend a little over an ounce of liquid permethrin per gallon

The mites will die pretty quick, like, a day or two

you should wait a week after the first dip and then dip again to kill the new mites that hatched out as it doesnt kill the eggs, only the actual mites

i wouldnt bother with ivermectin unless the infestation is really bad

Mites dont make the eggs unsafe to eat. the only thing egg related that they do is make production drop like you said.

the chickens are safe to eat with the mites as long as you rinse the mites and eggs off, how long to wait after dip, i dont know.

we ate the eggs right after, i dont know if thats "safe" or not but we didnt die so i guess maybe wash them before eating them or something. You wouldnt have to do it very long after. just a day or two

remember to dip them in the hottest part of the day so they can dry off.

i can answer a few of these as i have had to do this before

People recommend a little over an ounce of liquid permethrin per gallon

The mites will die pretty quick, like, a day or two

you should wait a week after the first dip and then dip again to kill the new mites that hatched out as it doesnt kill the eggs, only the actual mites

i wouldnt bother with ivermectin unless the infestation is really bad

Mites dont make the eggs unsafe to eat. the only thing egg related that they do is make production drop like you said.

the chickens are safe to eat with the mites as long as you rinse the mites and eggs off, how long to wait after dip, i dont know.

we ate the eggs right after, i dont know if thats "safe" or not but we didnt die so i guess maybe wash them before eating them or something. You wouldnt have to do it very long after. just a day or two

remember to dip them in the hottest part of the day so they can dry off.
You are the best! thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom