diatomaceous earth

So do you have these beliefs about using food grade DE (orally) in regards to chickens alone or in general? I did notice during my chicken research that most are one end of the spectrum or the other. I use it for myself & dogs since I only use drugs & chemicals if essential, such as emergencies. It has proven iteself effective for preventing and killing insects (w/exoskeleton) for 15 years in FL- fleas, roaches, ants etc... I have learned more is not better!
I am new to chickens & know birds are super sensitive in many respects compared to us. I do add a small amount to the chicken feed.
I don't believe it has any effect orally. It just doesn't make sense that it would. First, there's no evidence to support its use. In research, most often studies which fail to prove a point are not published, so a lack of evidence either means 1) it hasn't been researched or 2) it was researched, and fell short of substantiated results. However, also bear in mind that parasitic infections are not so common in commercial flocks because they are biologically contained and indoors. Risk of infection is quite low. Most research is sponsored by the commercial industry, and if it's not a problem it's not researched.

In addition, DE once wet doesn't damage insects and pests when it's in a normal environment, therefore it wouldn't work in a digestive tract either. The only reason DE is occasionally used in feed is as an anti-caking agent.

I have used DE myself around the house to ward of various pests. I can't say it was effective for stink bugs or lady bugs in the slightest, but just because other pests weren't a problem, doesn't mean DE was the solution. I haven't used DE in years though and have had no changes in the types of pests that I see.

I have gone down the holistic treatment route only to see problems worsen. Now I personally prefer to treat my animals and myself with proven methods to nip the problem before it gets worse. I am an advocated of holistic treatments as preventative measures, but once the holistic method is no longer effective, it's time for proven treatments.

Oh this is SO controversial. I don't put it on food just dust it in their house + underwings. I'd swear it helps with parasites but I'm not sure whether its good for them to eat...
I filled a shallow rubber tub with DE so that the chickens could give themselves dust baths, but I have no idea whether they have lice. Originally I had dusted the floor of the coop before layering it with wood shavings, but the dust was so bad, I swept it out and have kept the dust bath outside.

Ooo this is one of BYC's favorite topics to disagree about. May I ask why you are putting it in their food? If it is for parasite treatment, little to no research suggests that it is helpful for internal parasites, and it is preventative, at best, for treating external parasites. Some people use DE as an anti-caking agent in their feed, but this is also debatable.

Research has shown that fermenting feed is useful for maintaining gut health, and preventing many health problems. It's all the rage in the commercial poultry industry. In addition to my mad-googling skillz, my next door neighbor is actually a researcher for a prominent university and his focus is entirely in commercial poultry feed. He's shown me several of his published articles in support of fermenting feed as well.

Okay, there's my two cents.
I wish I had your neighbor 😂

I had ants invading my mealworms a few weeks ago, I sprinkled DE around my mealworms “tower” & a little in the drawer they were in. Within a day the ant infestation was cleared up & I haven’t had anymore problems with ants killing my worms. I may have lost a few small worms to it but my beetles & larger worms seemed fine.

I also mix it in my chickens dust bath. They have a decent size baby pool in their run with a good mix of dirt, sand, peat moss, DE & herbal mix. I’d say maybe 2 cups total DE in the mix. We haven’t had any problems with lice or mites & our chickens seem to love their dust bath, especially on the really hot days.
I’ve read controversial information regarding DE but after all my research I came to my own personal conclusion that I’d rather use a natural additive to prevent parasites than to use chemicals to treat an infestation.

I've posted this somewhere before. It can be found in the National Library of Medicine. It may explain why some people swear by it and some call it hogwash. I have used Food grade DE as a liquid filter commercially. The jagged edges make it a good wet filter. It is very effective and implies its properties are retained when ingested. You can click on DOI tab in abstract below for full report. Hope it helps.

Effect of diatomaceous earth on parasite load, egg production, and egg quality of free-range organic laying hens​

D C Bennett 1, A Yee, Y-J Rhee, K M Cheng
Affiliations expand
Free article

Abstract​

The effectiveness of diatomaceous earth (DE) as a treatment against parasites and to increase feed efficiency and egg production of organically raised free-range layer hens was evaluated in 2 breeds of commercial egg layers [Bovan Brown (BB) and Lowmann Brown (LB)] that differ in their resistance to internal parasitic infections. Half the hens of each breed were fed diets supplemented with DE (2%). Their internal parasite loads were assessed by biweekly fecal egg counts (FEC) and by postmortem examination of the gastrointestinal tract. Supplementing DE in diets of LB hens, the more parasite-resistant breed, did not significantly affect their FEC and adult parasite load. However, BB hens treated with dietary DE had significantly lower Capillaria FEC, slightly lower Eimeria FEC, fewer birds infected with Heterakis, and significantly lower Heterakis worm burden than control BB hens. Both BB and LB hens fed the diet containing DE were significantly heavier, laid more eggs, and consumed more feed than hens fed the control diet, but feed efficiency did not differ between the 2 dietary treatments. Additionally, BB hens consuming the DE diet laid larger eggs containing more albumen and yolk than hens consuming the control diet. In a subsequent experiment, the effectiveness of DE to treat a Northern fowl mite (Ornithonyssus sylviarum) infestation was tested. Relative to controls, both breeds of hens that were dusted with DE had reduced number of mites. The results of this study indicate the DE has the potential to be an effective treatment to help control parasites and improve production of organically raised, free-range layer hens.

Honestly, it really doesn't do anything for parasites. It doesn't work when it is wet and the inside of a chicken is wet, so by feeding it you kind of negate any good it might do. It is also really bad to breathe for both you and the birds.

Can you blame them? You are literally throwing a handful of dirt on their food...
Some people swear by DE. For me it hasn't worked. I was so sold on it at first that I bought a 50# bag of it. I had some birds that were severely infested with mites. I thought they were just molting but weren't getting their feathers back in when I discovered the mites. The first thing I tried was DE. The birds were actually looking worse as time went by. I first discovered them in only one coop but eventually found them on birds in another coop. I dusted the birds and inside the coops with the DE. The birds weren't improving and still had mites after using the DE for 2/3 weeks. Then I got some permethrin and treated the birds and the coops weekly for 3/4 weeks. The birds began to improve. I put poultry dust in their nest boxes. I think if I didn't treat the birds with permethrin when I did I may have lost some. They were looking pretty pathetic.

Some people swear by DE. For me it hasn't worked. I was so sold on it at first that I bought a 50# bag of it. I had some birds that were severely infested with mites. I thought they were just molting but weren't getting their feathers back in when I discovered the mites. The first thing I tried was DE. The birds were actually looking worse as time went by. I first discovered them in only one coop but eventually found them on birds in another coop. I dusted the birds and inside the coops with the DE. The birds weren't improving and still had mites after using the DE for 2/3 weeks. Then I got some permethrin and treated the birds and the coops weekly for 3/4 weeks. The birds began to improve. I put poultry dust in their nest boxes. I think if I didn't treat the birds with permethrin when I did I may have lost some. They were looking pretty pathetic.
I think DE might be better suited as a preventative measure maybe? I know that it resolved my ant problem, they were attacking my worms by the thousands & invading the garage where I keep my work farm. I put it around the worm tower & outside the garage entrances, next day no more ants

Back
Top Bottom