Diatomaceous earth

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Melissa2173, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Melissa2173

Melissa2173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Springfield, Georgia
    I've read all of the good uses for DE and I am going to buy some. I can't find the food grade kind locally so I have to order it and shipping is as much, if not more, than the product. I just wanted to know if it goes bad. I figure I may as well get a 50lb bag but I want to make sure it will keep for awhile. Thanks!

2. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

It doesn't go bad as long as you don't let the bag get wet. The Diatoms are already zillions of years old, so another year or two won't hurt them.

3. skhomer

skhomer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2011
    Homer, Georgia
    Very cool -- thanks for the info! I just ordered a 50lb bag myself and then started having the same worries .... as said before, the shipping was equal to the cost, but with a 10lb bag it was more.

Now to find many uses for the stuff!

4. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Nope, can't go bad unless it gets wet. It is a completely inert substance that is death on wheels to insects. Feed producers put it in feed to kill any insect
    infestation in the feed. It is good to sprinkle on litter to kill any mites etc. there. Some dust the chickens with it, which works well. Just be careful not to inhale
    much of the stuff. Don't want it in your lungs, kind of like concrete dust.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by