Diatomaceous earth

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by yellowirenut, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Eznet2u

Eznet2u Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    I have to warn you not to put down too much of it in the run. This is very bad for egg production as the chickens think they are
    at a Ski lodge on vacation, and just keep looking for the Ski rental booth... [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  2. G-Man

G-Man Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

3. CluckCluck2

CluckCluck2 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    Morris, Illinois
    I can vouch that it doen't kill earthworms (nightcrawlers)! They were all over the area where I put it outside the coop area!

4. Sunflowergirl

Sunflowergirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    Quitman, Texas
    I had read elsewhere to wear a mask while dusting the DE. Do any of y'all use a mask when working with DE?

5. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    this is put on all items that may be inhaled. Its a very powdery substance.

i just picked up some wood sheeting from Lowe's. there where warning stickers on those. This item may produce wood dust. A substance known to cause cancer by the state of California. Fricken wood dust....[​IMG]

What i am saying is...use your best judgment. If you are going to spend most the day in a cloud of dust then maybe a mask would be best. if you are going to spend 5 min spreading it around then myself i would not use one.

6. PaintedWolf

PaintedWolf Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    Kitsap WA

I don't even know if this info is accurate, but supposedly, rather than dehydrating parasites inside the body, this is how it works (from Earthworks Health):

It looks like a cylinder full of holes. This cylinder has a very strong negative charge. As these millions of cylinders move through the stomach and digestive tract, they attract and absorb fungi, protozoa, viruses, endotoxins, pesticides and drug residues, E-Coli, and heavy metals. These are trapped inside the cylinder and passed out of the body. In addition, any larger parasites that happen to be in the stomach or digestive tract are "cut up" and killed by the sharp edges of the Diatomaceous Earth.

7. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    The use of diatomaceous earth is contentious to some. Many things are supported anecdotally. When I use it in the feed, the flies are substantially fewer. The feces seem to be more solid, and perhaps less moist. Perhaps this inhibits the growth of the fly larva. I have used in my shop, just dusting around and about for a trial. All the spiders died. The extant cobwebs fell into disrepair.

If by its cutting action, it lacerates the hard covering of the insect and allows it to dehydrate or "bleed", it satisfies me that I see results.

Chris

8. HereInOz

HereInOz Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    Joplin, Missouri
    I bought some DE recently and used some of it to dust my chihuahua's bed with. I keep a mealworm 'farm' near the dog's bed and the next morning most of my beetles had died! I didn't even place it directly on them, I was very careful to apply it only on the dog's bed. Maybe the dog shook some of it off and it became airborne? Needless, to say I've found a different spot to keep my mealworms and it was proof to me that DE definitely works...at least it does on mealworms [​IMG].

9. PaintedWolf

PaintedWolf Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    Kitsap WA
    Good to know! [​IMG]

10. Sunflowergirl

Sunflowergirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    Quitman, Texas
    Thanks for this bit of wisdom! [​IMG]
    I had always understood that DE lysed (cut open) the guts of whatever bug critter ingested it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by