diatomaceous earth

Hiedi

Songster
11 Years
Feb 24, 2008
Upstate SC
I was finally able to get some diatomaceous earth. I bought the Perma-Guard brand. I had to order it because I was not able to find any in the local stores. I have read that it is good for many different things including sprinkling it in the coop and run to prevent lice and mites. My question: should I apply it directly on my pullets as well (they are almost 11 weeks old), or is it just sprinkled around their living area? I was also thinking that maybe I should put some in their dust box as well. I am assuming that it is safe for them to ingest if the DE is in the dirt and on the ground because the package also mentions putting it in their feed.

As long as it's absolutely food grade then you can use it anywhere. I sprinkle it on the roosts, in the nest boxes and some around the floor of the coop. I don't sprinkle it on the chickens but I know people who do. I do sprinkle it on my goats though. People do put it in the dust bath areas so the chickens dust bathe in it too.

Just make sure it's food grade - there is DE that you can get that's not. It does sound like yours is since it said you could put it in their feed. But.. make sure.

Heidi you are absolutely right. Dust away! On the chicks, in their dust bath, 1 oz per pound of food. Also glad you got PermaGuard. Arguably, it is the best on the market.

The front of the package says "Food Grade". It appears that another name for it is "Fossil Shell Flour". I kind of wish now that I would have bought more because I only got a five pound bag. I have a feeling that I am going to be using a lot of this stuff in the future.

I bought 100 lbs last week. I've noticed that it was easier to sweep and mop the coop this morning and the chickens love it where they dust bath. I added a little to their food as well I've also noticed that they don't seem to be scratching and preening themselves us much as before. I'm looking out my bedroom window at them right now and they seem to be so happy.

Back
Top Bottom