Diatomaceous Earth

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenAndMore, Feb 20, 2014.

1. ChickenAndMore

ChickenAndMore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    Does diatomaceous earth kill mites and lice? Is it safe for chickens and quail? Will it kill them if a they are day old chicks? Where can I but it at? Sorry for all the questions. Any help, tips, or advice is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia

2 people like this.
  3. Mei&Popcorn

Mei&Popcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Some do say that diatomaceous earth kills parasites, but it could cause respiratory problems because it is a fine dust, and they can inhale it. However, if you do use DE, make sure its food grade...

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

If you have a heavy infestation of lice or mites DE is not going to solve it. It may help as a preventative, I don't even count on it for that. Not to mention it is quite expensive. If you have a big problem with lice/mites you need to use something that is for sure going to kill the bugs and not be hit and miss. And repeat the treatments every 7 to 10 days to keep up with the bugs hatch cycle until you get it under control. Poultry dust is available at most feed stores as well as Tractor Supply to dust all the birds with. Sevin dust or spray works well in the coop. I do not know what, if anything, would be safe to use on day old chicks as I have never had a need to treat any so young.

5. ChickenAndMore

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    Thank you all for the responses I have bought some D.E. and am going to try it. Also does anyone know what I can do for scaly leg mites. I was given some chickens who have it and I have them separated from the others.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Purchase Nu-Stock at a feed store and slather their legs with it. You wouldve been better off using sevin dust on your birds, much cheaper and effective than DE.

7. barrybigbelly

barrybigbelly Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2014
    Hi ive used DE before and it does work, but very slowly. Ive found it dosnt kill the lice eggs though. Not wanting to use chemicals on my chickens i stumbled upon a 99% natural product called "douse that louse".

It killed all the lice and the eggs in 20 minuets! And I didnt see a louse on my chickens for a few weeks. Im so impressed im telling everyone about it now.

I think it may be safe for use on chicks

hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2014
  8. ChickenAndMore

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    I will by Nu-Stock and I will buy some sevin dust. Can I use it with the D.E.? Where can I find douse that louse?

9. barrybigbelly

barrybigbelly Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2014
    Im not sure if you can post links on here? so if this reply is deleted, well i wont post a link again. You can get douse that louse from www.backtotheland.co.uk
    Ive not seen it available anywhere else yet, but they do sent it worldwide, as i got the link from an australian poultry forum.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by