Diatomacious Earth?

TracyLynn

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 1, 2013
I'm brand spankin' new to this forum and boy am i glad i found you guys !!
frow.gif
Can anyone tell me how to incorporate Diatomacious earth to my 2 week old chicks? should i wait until they are older? and Is it beneficial and/or just a fun dust bath for them? Do i put it in a shallow pan or just put it at the bottom of the brooder? my 11 babies are in a baby pool with pine shavings at present also, i have started putting the dirt/sand from their future coop in a small area of the brooder for them to get used to the surroundings. Is this ok? sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance !

Quote: ===
Must use food grade, not pool grade. they are too young for it now. Don't use straight in a dusting bin because of too much silica. Use in ratios with river sand ( not play sand) in dusting bin. Perhaps add 3rd ingredient/ search BYC for formulas.
Best,
Karen

excellent ! thanks a bunch, Karen :) what age do you think i should put this "formula" into their coop? Also, with it being almost 100 degrees during the day, will they be ok in their coop next week? (they will be 3 weeks old) (there is LOTS of shade and ventilation in there). Night time temps are around 80 degrees outside. They are in my garage and weaned off the lamp (for 3 days now) since its already so warm in there. According to the thermometer in the garage, its around 84 at night and maybe 90-92 during the day. They all seem happy and healthy. This little buff orpington comes running to me to jump in my hands!
wee.gif

Tracy

Tracy, I can just imagine that little fluff ball running to your hand! So sweet!!

I just opened my shipment of food-grade, DE and used it for the first time today. I sprinkled some on the tray of their coop, then put the wood shavings on top- then tossed a very small amount over the top of the shavings, mixing it in. I didn't know how much to use - the dark colored tray with the white DE looked about like a tray of brownies with powdered sugar sprinkled over it. Experienced folks...does this sound right??

There are 3 nest boxes in my Snap Lock coop for my 4 chickens. I put sand in all of them- one for a sand bath and one to hold their water, the 3rd for their feeder. I figured that wet sand would dry better than wet shavings and spilled food wouldn't be lost in the shavings. I just did this tonight for the first time. When they are laying age, I will clear out one box for nesting- by then I'll feel comfortable not keeping food in the coop overnight. I added a small amount of DE to each sand area and stirred it in. I plan on switching to sand in their coop after I run out of the shavings.

I also added a small amount of DE to their sand box in their run. They are 5 weeks old.
If any of this seems problematic, please let me know!

Oh and the sand-- it is sandbox sand that says it is washed and safe for kids. I will buy sand from a quarry next time rather than Home Depot, but will the 100 lbs that I have now be safe for them?
I've read conflicting opinions!

whew ! thanks again Karen
thumbsup.gif
...i feel like a new mother with these little girls !

Hi Sherri ! Karen recommended river sand as opposed to play sand...i'm lucky that my property is mostly river sand including the inside of the coop. However, i've heard plenty of people using the play sand...I'm not sure what the downfall is...possible toxins? I know it says safe for children etc, but we are also told that vaccines are safe for our children and they are filled with toxins...go figure
hu.gif

Quote: ====
Hi TracyLynn,
Some play sand has an excessive amount of silica in it , regarding poultry.
Best,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom