Dickeys incubator any one modified theres???

jasonak

Chirping
13 Years
May 17, 2008
wasilla,AK
Hi
I have Dickeys incubator,it seems to have hot and cold spots in it,I bought it last year and im sure it was a couple years old before that.It seems to work alright but like I said there seems to be hot and cold spots in it.Depending one where the digital thermometer is onad on which shelf it will give diffrent degrees readings.Has anyone done andy modifications to there so helpe with this??
thanks

The dickeys and the gqf's do that. I adjusted both of mine to where i read 102.4 on the shelf with my digital thermo/hygro. I was getting terrible hatches they were late andf what hatched took 3 or 4 days and had a lot of piiping and dying as well as defects. So my conclusion is on the shelf is only a short distance from the heating coil so it's a hot spot and for the eggs in the bottom to be the right temperature mine must read 102.4. I found the right temperature by adjusting it until my eggs were finished hatching in exactly 21 days and then i put the thermometer back in in and it read 102.4 and has for three years now. Yes i got mad and threw all 5 thermometers in a box and chose to go without one. The problem was you could put all 5 in there at once and would all 5 give a different reading. It only took 37 years of fighting with incubators to figure this out.

"Yes i got mad and threw all 5 thermometers in a box and chose to go without one. The problem was you could put all 5 in there at once and would all 5 give a different reading. It only took 37 years of fighting with incubators to figure this out."

Some of the best advice you will ever get on incubation!!

Jim

Wow we have a believer ! Most people just refuse to think outside of the box. You know Jim i have posted this many times but a lot of people think i am crazy and that i am telling them to burn their eggs up. I am not i am trying to help. The most common problem is temperature and most of the time low temperature. Folks just want to believe what their thermometer says and i was one of them for many years.

Quote:
I believe you Danny, I've stopped worrying about the temperature the silly thermometer reads. They're hatching in 19 or 20 days like clockwork.

It must be in the right range and consistently at that, so now it just runs.

Hi
thanks for your replys.
So you guys all use digital now?
I was thinking about cutting holes in the metal sides of the trays and maybe drilling holes in the top shelf or adding another fan,just ideas.

Quote:
I believe you Danny, I've stopped worrying about the temperature the silly thermometer reads. They're hatching in 19 or 20 days like clockwork.

It must be in the right range and consistently at that, so now it just runs.

It sounds like you have found the spot. Just out of curiousity what does the thermometer say?

funny you all say this! i just thought this same thing this morning! all of my hatches are going two to three days late. i pondered cranking the temps up two degrees higher than recommended.

i am going to give it a whirl. i actually don't even use a thermometer in my Dickey anymore. i just monitor the amount of water in the pan and how many days things take to hatch.

in my table tops i have noticed that they are more 'spot on', but they are small, so that makes sense. but, the thermometers, as stated earlier are the issues. so again, i go by dates now.

so, i'm all in fellas. crankin' 'em up! i'm with ya! can i get a pink sparkly membership card though?
big_smile.png

2 Degree's won't hurt anything but i would try 1 1/2 for a full cycle and see what happens. Even if you increase 2 degree's they might hatch a little early which is not a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom