Did a Dumb Thing, now we've got Marek's, cull or no?

plaidpantsuit

Songster
8 Years
Oct 25, 2015
Skookumchuck, Washington
1606270833352.png

Could you get a video of some of the things you are seeing, upload it to YouTube with a link here so we can see what you are seeing? Keep the new ones isolated and quarantined away from your others. Instead of all the extras, can you just give them chicken feed and perhaps some vitamins? Chicken feed has all the extras they need, but vitamins might be helpful if they have not been getting a healthy balanced diet. If you should lose one, I would get a necropsy and testing for Mareks. There could be somehing else going on, and I hope it isn’t Mareks. Time will tell.

Thanks Eggcessive!

I know video is so much more helpful then words, I don't have anything capable of taking video at the moment, sadly.
So you recommend wait and see. If they recover, do you know how to tell if it was Mareks or something nutritional?

Last edited:
Decided to treat for rickets, possibly hypercalcemia, before Mareks. I learned the previous owners may have had them on layer feed from birth.

Ordered water soluble D from Amazon.
While I'm waiting, does anyone know if any Vitamin D is better than no Vitamin D? I have regular Vit D softgels.

I also have Polyvisol and Nutri-drench, but don't want to overdose them on the other vitamins in them.

Thanks Eggcessive!

I know video is so much more helpful then words, I don't have anything capable of taking video at the moment, sadly.
So you recommend wait and see. If they recover, do you know how to tell if it was Mareks or something nutritional?
Most chickens do not recover from Mareks symptoms, but it rarely can happen. Calcium and phosphorus in a correct ratio, along with vitamin D3 are important in leg development. Most commercial feeds will have the correct amounts. Layer feed contains 4% calcium which is important in chickens who are laying. All flock or flock raiser feed has 1% calcium which is good for non-layers, roosters, and chicks. Here is a good link to read about calcium and phosphorus:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ement-poultry/mineral-deficiencies-in-poultry

Thanks for the link!
I use all flock feed and oyster shell supplement on the side for my birds.

But these new teenagers may have been raised on layer feed from birth, and that much calcium can lead to the same symptoms as not enough calcium, correct? Is that what Merck's is saying? So to compensate for that extra calcium, I would add Vitamin D3, is that right? And should I do anything with the phosphorus?

Excess calcium in young chicks and pullets can cause gout, which may cause arthritis or kidney problems. I think most commercial feeds have a good ratio of calcium to phosphorus. You might do some research on your own though.

these new teenagers may have been raised on layer feed from birth, and that much calcium can lead to the same symptoms as not enough calcium, correct?
I'll take the opposite stance, I would cull.
Your birds are not pets. These obviously already have issues that are concerning enough for you to consider culling them. If you are thinking it, then likely it needs to be done.

The only thing I see that causes me to pause is they may have been fed layer feed all their life. Gout is a possibility, but you may want to research how that will affect their health long term. Here's a link to an older thread where chicks were fed layer feed - maybe that will help.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mystery-disease-help.1198384/

Back
Top Bottom