Did a hawk get my Frizzle Roo?

Buxton Ducks

Songster
10 Years
Jan 16, 2012
Buxton, Maine
I had all my birds free ranging (ducks, geese, bantams, full size chickens) and I heard the geese screaming. I went outside and everything seemed fine so I went back in. At 6:30 I grabbed the scratch grains and went to give my chickens a treat before bed. Sunny, my frizzle roo, always needs an extra boost to get on the perch and he was a no show tonight! It is well past dark here now and we are getting the leftovers from hurricane Isaac tonight. My birds cannot escape the dog fence that surrounds the backyard and I fear he was grabbed from above. Anybody have a similar experience with hawks? I am very upset tonight but I am still hopeful he found and alternative, hidden roost for the night. I checked under the porch, in the dog house, even under the canoe and in the flower gardens......

Unless it was a really big hawk or, an awfully small roo..you would find the hawks leftovers somewhere in the yard. Most hawks can't carry off full grown chickens unless they are tiny. Do you have any other predators? Fox?

He is a little bantam roo.... I have never seen fox around but my grandparent run a 100 acre produce farm a mile through the woods. They see fox there all the time eating rodents in the strawberries. I did lose another roo last year to a bobcat that jumped the fence. I took the dogs outside the fence tonight and they would usually start going wild if any other animal has been around. They didn't seem alerted to anything.

I had a silkie, a 14 week old polish and a 25 week old bantam cochin all killed by hawks. They were not big birds. The hawks could not carry them away. It sat in the yard and proceeded to eat them. It didn't get much of a meal...I ran it off and then covered my runs. I think if it were a hawk, it would have left evidence.

He was waiting for me at the coop this morning! He was soaking wet and is missing a lot of feathers with a few scars. Don't know what happened to him but I blow dried him off and put him with his favorite silkie hen in the empty chick brooder for the day. Hopefully he is all warm and healthy when I get home. I am very relieved!

woot.gif

I'm so glad that he is safe!!!!!

Just an update, after his big ordeal, he refuses to sleep on a perch anymore but his wounds are healing nicely. But here he is all safe in his little corner of the coop:

Back
Top Bottom