Did anyone watch election coverage on CNN last night (Tue, Nov 4)?

Go Blue
big_smile.png

The electoral college makes the final votes for president and usually goes with the popular vote. The west coast is usually going to go one way so it is often called early. Oregon is all absentee mail in and almost all of WA is too. Not sure about CA. The "individual voters vote" usually has the most impact in states on the line where it can go either way. In WA, our ballots will be counted as long as they are post marked on the 4th, so ones in the mail are still in the mail. At least that's what I understand.

Quote:
Can you shed some light on how they could have counted CA, WA and OR in 5 seconds after the polls closed? I find that impossible and was deeply disturbed when they didn't even wait for counts to start coming in before naming the next President. It does make you wonder.

OR and WA can turn in their votes as early as something like 2 weeks ago. I think I read in one of the papers in oregon that something lie 40% of voters had been turned in and counted before the 4th as part of early voting.

I think they can call it based on the picks of the electoral college since the US doesn't elect a president based on a popular vote.

It was a calculated prediction based on polls as people were leaving and with electronic machines the votes are tallied almost instantly. It's a combination of things... they've done it every election for as long as I can remember. I don't exactly know the specifics of how it all works... math and numbers..... but, their projections are based on soooo much data. Indiana was called red, but looks like it may actually be going blue. So, sometimes even the projections can be wrong.... but they are always pretty close.

Quote:
Can you shed some light on how they could have counted CA, WA and OR in 5 seconds after the polls closed? I find that impossible and was deeply disturbed when they didn't even wait for counts to start coming in before naming the next President. It does make you wonder.

I wondered the same thing. When they called PA my DH was still voting, and so were many people in Philly according to the news.

It really is disheartening for folks still standing in line to cast their votes and the news station announce the winner. I can't imagine how they must have felt. I'm sure many just walked away and said there was no point..the decision has been made.

Personally, I don't think the news stations should be allowed to announce a winner (by state or country) until everyone has had their chance to complete their ballot. Instead it's a race of who gets to announce it first.

Back
Top Bottom