Did I almost kill him ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by andrea98, May 8, 2011.

1. andrea98

andrea98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    Ok I think I killed may rooster today ..
    Well not to death but dang close!!!
    I was holding him & checking his spurs..
    Well I have no idea what happened but his whole head..
    Waddles & comb turned so purple they looked like plums!!! I layed him on the ground
    & shook him lol his color came back but he
    was acting like he was drunk?????
    Guess he didn't want me looking at his feet...
    Any idea what might of happened??
    [​IMG]

2. Posh Chickens

Posh Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    West Midlands, UK
    you could have been holding him too long? [​IMG] is he okay now?

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    You may have almost killed him. That had been happening to mine about the last six weeks or so until Tuesday when I was unable to revive him. I'm heart sick because he was such a great roo and so good to my girls. He was one of our own hatchlings. He'd look like he was going to sleep, his head would turn almost black and then when he came around, he'd be gasping for awhile.

We've had a terrible problem with mites this year and I'd been treating them all aggressively for that and parasites. The mites haven't been just the usual chicken mites because they are too small to see. They've invaded my home and everything else. Maybe they invaded his lungs and caused pneumonia or maybe he picked up a respiratory infection this winter. Either way his heart was affected.

I noticed the last 3 weeks or so the tips of his wattles had turned black. I started treating him with Baytril and putting neosporin on the wattles. He also had a bright read rear end which was one of the first things I noticed. That seemed to be improving so I wish I'd backed off a little on the handling and treating because the stress was too much.

Then again, I never vaccinated him so it could be some textbook case of a disease, I looked at cholera and aspirgillis because of the blackening and hemorrhaging. I wished I kept him on Sulmet early on (I started to but with the antibiotic it turned the water blood red and I freaked out). That was about two weeks before I started the Baytril in earnest.

Anyway, it's all so confusing. I would start your guy on a good antibiotic (and assume respiratory infection) and avoid turning him over or stressing him out until you can assess the situation. You might do the Sulmet too. Give it a good couple weeks. Unfortunately when they start showing signs they're already very sick.

Maybe someone here can chime in. My guy's red undebelly may have been unrelated. I thought early on it was a hygeine issue or maybe irritation from parasites. I'm just so sorry I lost him. My hens seem to be fine with the handling. I did notice the one other hatched here at home had just a tad of the red lesion on the underbelly (that's when I began to worry about the vaccinating).

Anyway, even though your guy looks big and strong, he's in a very delicate situation. It's odd someone else out there is going through the very same thing I went through this week! I think these respiratory problems can be very insidious and not always obvious. Which reminds me, I'd better start up again with some antibiotics.

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Let us know how it ends up with him. TY!

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

When you hold them upside down, it stresses them and puts more pressure on the air sacs, making it difficult to get enough oxygen. The Anoxia / hypoxia is why the wattles & comb start to look blue or purple -- the blood doesn't have enough oxygen in it. If you notice this when you're holding a hen or roo, turn them right side up IMMEDIATELY and let them stand up or sit down in an upright position. You may also notice the blue or purplish comb/wattles in older chickens or those with a respiratory or heart condition, both of which affect the levels of oxygen in the blood.

ETA: the next time you need to check his feet, try putting him on a picnic table or a shelf so you can look at his feet without turning him upside down. [​IMG] Keep us posted on how he's doing!

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  6. andrea98

andrea98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    Well he seems fine .. Followed me as I was
    Weeding yesterday .. Worm snatcher.. Any
    Way I'm sure it was just lack of oxygen
    , because after I layed Jim down upright he seemed
    To get his color back .. I had him cradled like a baby..
    Oops ...thank you all for your info [​IMG]

*** his name is not Jim .. Spell checker tends
    to put words you don't want..He is also only
    2 as of last month ..

Last edited: May 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by