Did I buy a problem?

Quote:
They shouldn't be near the same air space or where breezes can blow and hit both flocks. The garage idea sounds fine - but you can't go back and quarantine unfortunately. It's too late for this one. If the way is open and the breeze can blow a half a mile right from one flock to another, then a half mile wouldn't be enough.

We keep ours 200 feet away under a different shelter in a place where there's an air pocket so that the air doesn't blow their air or dander to the other location or from the other location to the quarantine spot. It's around the corner of a building away from the others. So that's one example of an option.

And I'll add to speckledhen's wonderful advice that quarantine is MUCH for the new birds as for your own flock. Your flock carry different things they've met and overcome and can infect the new flock just as easily as the new can effect the old.

People tend to bring new birds home and then blame the new birds when one gets ill; but they don't realize that one getting ill can be from exposure to a new flock. Add to that the stress of moving, etc.

For yours, I'd isolate the hen from all the others. Treat her with vitamins to support her immune system - preferably polyvisol baby vitamins without iron (3 drops in the beak daily one week) for the vitamin A content in a non-dry format. That's a superior vitamin for respiratory healing, and the E vitamin in it will help with respiratory inflammation. Also give probiotics or yogurt daily for a week to combat secondary diarrhea from the nasal drainage (which drains into the mouth through the roof of the beak, then into the digestive tract).

I wouldn't give antibiotics yet, but try to figure out where the issue is, do all you can without medications, buy Tylan50 injectable and syringes, ls50 soluble, or duramycin 10 to have on hand in case you need it. You can buy VetRX and use is (it's non-medicinal) to help reduce inflammation, reduce congestion, increase her ability to breathe which will in turn help her to heal better, assist her own immune fight. I would highly recommend that since you have a large flock. Often using vitamins and VetRx, isolation, will stop things before they get too far or at least allow a bird to heal itself without the stress of antibiotics. If symptoms increase, then treat the bird for no less than 7 days with all antibiotics except the Tylan which is a 3 day treatment.

Back
Top Bottom