Did I buy another Rooster?

Countrywantabe

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 25, 2012
During the summer we had the misfortune of having 4 out of our seven newly purchased "pullets" turn out to be roosters. Now that we have purchased some replacements we are wondering if we have another rooster. We were told they are 4 months old but that can't be right because they still peep and they are way smaller than our 15 week old birds. What do you think their age is and do you see a rooster?

This is "Astrid" who is suspected of being a rooster. Was going through a bad molt but our little son picked it out anyway and we had told him he could choose.

"Astrid"

"Astrid"

This is Lemon a Buff Orpinton, Red (who is suposed to be a Rhode Island Red) and a partial shot of Cinnamon who is a red sex linked hen. Does Red look like a Rhode Island Red?

This is Lemon again

This is Red again. I am new to chickens so I don't know if it is a Rhode Island Red but it is the dominant one of the chicks and dosen't peep any more. Dosen't exactly cluck either though.

These last three shots are of Ameila who is super cute. No Idea of what breed though. What do you think?

Astrid is a rooster......the lighter color (in terms of barred rocks) is a give-away as is the comb size.
they are not 4 months old, thats for sure.
Amelia looks like a silver laced wyandotte.(pullet probably)
the rest all look like pullets

Astrid is a rooster......the lighter color (in terms of barred rocks) is a give-away as is the comb size.
they are not 4 months old, thats for sure.
Amelia looks like a silver laced wyandotte.(pullet probably)
the rest all look like pullets

X2 and red isn't pure rir, looks like a mix.

Amelia is a Silver laced Wyandotte Pullet (although a badly marked one at that
hide.gif
) Red deffinetly isn't purebred.

Thank you for posting Amelia, now I know what my 2 pullets are that I couldn't figure out, yeah!! I love SLW

Someone posted them on our local classifieds (KSL). They had been kept by his brother and not feed right. When he got them he started feeding them right. We could see they were not the "adult hens" he advertized but we were not too concerned about their age so went ahead with the purchase anyway. They are very used to people and are easy to handle. They follow us around like we were mamma. Thank you for the guess on the age. Wanted some idea.

Yup, the BR is likely a cockerel
The Red is a production mix of some kind

And no, they are not 4 months old.  More like 2 months old.  

Funny things people say when they sell stuff, eh?   
Where did you purchase them?
That's exactly right. I was going to say between 8-10 weeks old. More likely closer to 8 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom