Did I discourage this final egg by removing its siblings?

alpinewelsummer

Songster
Mar 15, 2021
Hey all! I had 6 little babies hatch out today and there's one egg left to go. The other 6 were fully fluffed out and we're trampling and rolling it around like crazy, so I grabbed them out and put them in the brooder. The egg was wobbling and pipping the whole time its siblings were in there, but the second I took them out, it stopped, and it hasn't wobbled since.

Should I have left the others in to keep encouraging the final egg? I imagine it'll still hatch fine, but I'm wondering what course of action would have been better, for future reference.

I would've taken out the others. Too many active chicks playing ball with one egg is not an ideal situation. Hopefully it will hatch soon for you. Have you got it in a position where you can see its pip hole? I'd move it if not so that you can keep an eye on it, just in case.

I would've taken out the others. Too many active chicks playing ball with one egg is not an ideal situation. Hopefully it will hatch soon for you. Have you got it in a position where you can see its pip hole? I'd move it if not so that you can keep an eye on it, just in case.
That's relieving to hear. I can see the pip, yes. :) I just hope I get some more movement soon.

Back
Top Bottom