Did I do the right thing?

Boiled Octopus

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 9, 2012
Wiltshire, UK
sad.png
I had to kill one of my beloved bantams at 3 a.m. this morning. I put rat poison into some holes and the rats got out and sprayed the poison all over the place from digging.

I noticed one of my Dutch bantams was not her normal spritely self and checked in the evening to find a rather bloody prolapsed rectum. I brought her indoors to give her some water and she was drinking like anything but when I picked her up the water started pouring out of her beak and she was very lathargic. I am guessing it was some of the poison she ate. I did some research and a site suggested I clean up the prolapse and push it back in, but it wouldn't go and she was clearly in pain with yet more water pouring out of her beak.

I went outside and chooped her head off and just absolutely balled my eyes out. A six foot guy in a dressing-gown holding a dead bantam. Ugh.

I am really hoping I did the right thing. I love my girls and just didn't want to see a suffering animal. I am so ****** stupid.

RIP Qweebs.

I am so so sorry. You had every right to cry she was a loved one and we cry for our loved ones.

RIP Qweebs

oh and to answer your question yes you did the right thing you couldn't let her suffer.

Last edited:
I agree you did the right thing for Queebs. Still a sad sad day.

I've had to do the same thing a few times. It is what was best at the time.

We are with you. and so sorry. And these are the things only time can take the sting from.

You were trying to deal with a problem that was detrimental to the birds. You didn’t anticipate how it would play out. I know that doesn’t erase the event but you know your intentions, and Qweebs did, too.

You most certainly did what had to be done, and it took courage. Showing mercy at 3am was much harder than waiting til day to find a vet who might see a chicken, or might not. If it was the usual rat poison, Qweebs was going to slowly bleed to death in the meantime.

Pain from this sort of loss is one of the ways we know we have a heart, and Qweebs will live on in yours. ♥ Xoxo

Last edited:
sad.png
I had to kill one of my beloved bantams at 3 a.m. this morning. I put rat poison into some holes and the rats got out and sprayed the poison all over the place from digging.

I noticed one of my Dutch bantams was not her normal spritely self and checked in the evening to find a rather bloody prolapsed rectum. I brought her indoors to give her some water and she was drinking like anything but when I picked her up the water started pouring out of her beak and she was very lathargic. I am guessing it was some of the poison she ate. I did some research and a site suggested I clean up the prolapse and push it back in, but it wouldn't go and she was clearly in pain with yet more water pouring out of her beak.

I went outside and chooped her head off and just absolutely balled my eyes out. A six foot guy in a dressing-gown holding a dead bantam. Ugh.

I am really hoping I did the right thing. I love my girls and just didn't want to see a suffering animal. I am so ****** stupid.

RIP Qweebs.
I am so very sorry for your loss. One of the things I do not miss about having livestock is the occasional heartache that goes with it. I am going to make two comments/suggestions about dealing with prolapses. Neither one would have made a bit of difference in this particular case. I am just throwing them out for future reference.

In the case of a rectal prolapse hemorrhoid (sp) cream like Preparation H may shrink the tissue and lubricate it enough to push it back in. Sugar will also take the swelling out of tissue so it can be replaced. That said, as hard as it was, you did the right and merciful thing. It takes a lot of courage to do what you did.

Back
Top Bottom