Did I do the right thing?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Boiled Octopus, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Boiled Octopus

Boiled Octopus Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    Wiltshire, UK
    [​IMG] I had to kill one of my beloved bantams at 3 a.m. this morning. I put rat poison into some holes and the rats got out and sprayed the poison all over the place from digging.

I noticed one of my Dutch bantams was not her normal spritely self and checked in the evening to find a rather bloody prolapsed rectum. I brought her indoors to give her some water and she was drinking like anything but when I picked her up the water started pouring out of her beak and she was very lathargic. I am guessing it was some of the poison she ate. I did some research and a site suggested I clean up the prolapse and push it back in, but it wouldn't go and she was clearly in pain with yet more water pouring out of her beak.

I went outside and chooped her head off and just absolutely balled my eyes out. A six foot guy in a dressing-gown holding a dead bantam. Ugh.

I am really hoping I did the right thing. I love my girls and just didn't want to see a suffering animal. I am so ****** stupid.

RIP Qweebs.

2. ange92040

ange92040 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Lockhart, TX
    I am so so sorry. You had every right to cry she was a loved one and we cry for our loved ones.

RIP Qweebs

oh and to answer your question yes you did the right thing you couldn't let her suffer.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  3. Zoomom

Zoomom Certified Cackleberry Consumer

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    I agree you did the right thing for Queebs. Still a sad sad day.

I've had to do the same thing a few times. It is what was best at the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by