Did i do the right thing

Blondie654

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 22, 2013
While out with the family at a little Bar with a small petting area i got talking with the owner who had some chicks and 2 of them were not doing to make it through the day, one is a polish and has slightly disfigured feet and the other had a limp.. due to my outrage he gave them to me! Now i have 2 small chicks of unknown age who are otherwise (i believe) in good health. I believe the other maybe a pekin/polish cross.
The kids have adopted them, its been a week and they are separate from my flock but can anyone tell how old they are... if the breed i guess are correct, any ideas about the feet???

Did you do the right thing?

What would the wrong thing have been?

I think I would have probably done the same thing in your position. But I gotta' say one thing: a bar with a petting zoo? AWESOME!

I don't think those chicks are very old. If you've already had them a week, they couldn't have been more than a week or two when you got them.

I don't know anything about chicks with a limp. Maybe someone else will chime in with info for you on that issue?

But curled toes, I know a tiny bit about that. Because I didn't have my incubator set just right, I have had a couple chicks with curled toes. MUCH worse than what your chick has, but .... I was able to start treatment right on hatch day, so it was easier and didn't take too long. What I did was put the chick in some :shoes" Basically, a soft cast made of vetwrap and some thin cardboard and/or wore. Pipe cleaners work well. Do a search here for "chick shoes" and you should turn up a LOT of good information.

Based on their feathering they look four or five weeks old. Not sure why they weren't going to make through the day either. The one does have curled in toes, doesn't look like it should hamper it's ability to get around, I don't know that I'd even bother doing anything about it.

Back
Top Bottom