Did I "fowl" up?

Thanks millielynn... They are a little cuter than the chick that hatched 3 weeks ago... that one is kinda scruffy looking right now! LOL

If they have poked a hole they could take up to 24 hrs to totally hatch, they might not even move for that long. just let them be and they will hatch. If you do try to help- and open part of a shell, be sure to leave it for 24 hrs before taking any more shell off, they have yolk to absorb and need to get used to the air.

Start of day 23, and still only have the 2 hatchlings... looks like I have 9 eggs that are duds.
roll.png
So out of 20 eggs set in the last month and a half, I've got 3 chicks to show for it.

This has been a little disappointing.

I guess I'll try again in the spring.

Rotor

It can be difficult. I have 14 chicks out of the 28 eggs that I started out with. One wasn't fertile, 9 quit before they pipped and 4 died after pipping. They say that 50% is pretty good for the first try but I was hoping for better.

Don't give up. You could have 100% success next time. I prefer letting the hen set on them but a snake ate all but one of my eggs a day or two before they were going to hatch. It broke my heart. Luckily one was saved. She will be 8 weeks tomorrow. Her name is Miracle. :)

Back
Top Bottom