Did i just buy really bad araucana eggs?

Mar 4, 2019
Alabama
I bought eggs from https://www.awesomearaucana.com/prices-shipping/
After receiving them they aren't bright blue and one is even green.
I saw on his pictures some had tails.
Are these anywhere near sop?
Or am I just ignorant and need to learn more about araucanas?
20210125_204600.jpg
20210125_204547.jpg
20210125_172726.jpg

If you would read the description, this person sells 2 strains that he has been breeding.
COPY AND PASTE
6. I only have two strains of Araucana type chickens:

a. My 45 year strain of Ketros and Kollonkas
b. Black Feathered strain.

There is no claim that these are any to SOP.

If these are Araucana chickens, they are supposed to be rump less. I don't have any. Maybe the 2 strains that this person breeds are not the most blue egg layers in the Araucana strains. :idunno
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

Good luck.

actual Araucana should not have tails. A green egg is a sign there is a brown gene in there somewhere,as green comes from a blue egg with some brown tint overlay. I’ve seen the color card of egg colors, but I think it is for the breed Ameraucana (not the mixed breed EE). This color card includes a wide range of blue shades, and green shades. I don’t think the color card is for Araucana, as I believe the Araucana should only lay blue.

Some of the eggs look rather dirty. You might want to ask in the incubating forum if you should clean the eggs before incubating. I know it is not advised to wash with water, but maybe there are other methods. Maybe they aren’t too dirty to incubate, I’m not sure. And you should candle for cracks.

So this is directly from their website...I've taken the liberty of bolding the areas I find telling...

"1. NEW THIS YEAR – Hatching Eggs will be available at $40 per dozen
2. Hatching Eggs (no pink eggs) – our current special is 3 dozen eggs (36) for $100. This does NOT include shipping and handling (which is added at checkout). And it includes priority shipping and tracking.
3. Blue or green eggs with variations of each color.
4. Specialty and additional eggs by mutual agreement.
5. Each hatch has different results; choices vary, feather color choice options change. All chicks shipped are “my choice”.
7. Each Strain is kept pure here.
8. Only pure black chickens produced here are of the hybrid strain and related to each other.
9. All other feather color chickens produced here are related and of my 45 year Mapuche strain.
10. Generally expect a mix of representation, strains in each batch."

Also...

"Hatching eggs are from two strains of Araucana type chickens. The black feathered hybrid show strain and my 45 year strain of Ketros and Kollenkas producing Araucana types. Each strain has value and each strain is kept pure for genetic heredity identification."

And finally...

"Hey Kids! For fun, can you find – A three tufted bird? An evenly spotted hen? A 20 year old hen with spurs? A round blue egg? A green egg? A Tufted baby chic? A red Rooster?"

I did not see any birds with tails in the Gallery, but it is very obvious after going through the website that the breeder clearly advertises that their birds lay blue and green eggs. Photos are representative of their flock. If those birds weren't what you wanted, then I'd have suggested looking for a breeder that maintains smaller breeding groups by color. I don't think that you can say the person didn't clearly advertise the quality of the birds they had, however.

So this is directly from their website...I've taken the liberty of bolding the areas I find telling...

"1. NEW THIS YEAR – Hatching Eggs will be available at $40 per dozen
2. Hatching Eggs (no pink eggs) – our current special is 3 dozen eggs (36) for $100. This does NOT include shipping and handling (which is added at checkout). And it includes priority shipping and tracking.
3. Blue or green eggs with variations of each color.
4. Specialty and additional eggs by mutual agreement.
5. Each hatch has different results; choices vary, feather color choice options change. All chicks shipped are “my choice”.
7. Each Strain is kept pure here.
8. Only pure black chickens produced here are of the hybrid strain and related to each other.
9. All other feather color chickens produced here are related and of my 45 year Mapuche strain.
10. Generally expect a mix of representation, strains in each batch."

Also...

"Hatching eggs are from two strains of Araucana type chickens. The black feathered hybrid show strain and my 45 year strain of Ketros and Kollenkas producing Araucana types. Each strain has value and each strain is kept pure for genetic heredity identification."

And finally...

"Hey Kids! For fun, can you find – A three tufted bird? An evenly spotted hen? A 20 year old hen with spurs? A round blue egg? A green egg? A Tufted baby chic? A red Rooster?"

I did not see any birds with tails in the Gallery, but it is very obvious after going through the website that the breeder clearly advertises that their birds lay blue and green eggs. Photos are representative of their flock. If those birds weren't what you wanted, then I'd have suggested looking for a breeder that maintains smaller breeding groups by color. I don't think that you can say the person didn't clearly advertise the quality of the birds they had, however.
I don't see any claim to sell pure Araucana eggs, only blue and green eggs from Araucana type chickens.

Back
Top Bottom