1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Did I just make a big mistake?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rungirl, Sep 15, 2010.

1. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    So one of my 8 pullets surprised me and laid an egg the other day and I had to hurry up and put a nest box up for them. I didn't have any golf balls, so before I left that morning, I hard boiled a store bought egg and put it in the box. Came home that afternoon and it was gone... I'm sure they probably ate it... shell and all. [​IMG]

So did I just make a really bad mistake and just teach them to eat eggs? I'm afraid from now on, they'll eat any egg they see in the coop. I'll never know if there's a second egg! What do you think? I did finally put some golf balls in there now.

2. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Maybe. Maybe not. Only time will tell.

3. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    Get an inedible egg (rock, marble, golf ball) in there to confound the mental connection.

4. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Did you look on the floor /under the shavings really well? The only time my girls have eaten an egg was when I dropped it and it broke--they rushed in and I scooped up what I could....Could you have a nice fat sneaky snake that helped him/herself??

5. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    No, I'm pretty sure those little piggies ate it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by