Did I Just Shrinkwrap a chick?

I don’t think it looks good for that chicks chances of surviving... that is a lot of yolk... how many eggs do you have left in the incubator?

I don’t think it looks good for that chicks chances of surviving... that is a lot of yolk... how many eggs do you have left in the incubator?
Not to be harsh, but I'd wager that chick is dead by now. If not, honestly I'd cull it quickly, as that's not really a recoverable condition as far as I know. It's also the reason I strongly suspect the incubator is running too hot, for that chick to hatch with a full yolk, plus the other early ones. Could have mixed up the dates, but I'm betting too hot.

Agree (I was trying to be gentle, I had a problematic first hatch and it’s pretty overwhelming)... but it looks like there might be two more eggs in there, though? I would definitely remove it from the incubator and cull quickly if it’s still alive. Clean off as much as possible and maybe reset any remaining eggs? Not best practice for sure, but I don’t think leaving it as is with more egg that might make it is a good idea. But I also know I’m really inexperienced...

Not to be harsh, but I'd wager that chick is dead by now. If not, honestly I'd cull it quickly, as that's not really a recoverable condition as far as I know. It's also the reason I strongly suspect the incubator is running too hot, for that chick to hatch with a full yolk, plus the other early ones. Could have mixed up the dates, but I'm betting too hot.
Yes, most likely dead or dying. How terrible.

The poor thing is still alive but weak. It lifts its head up and body up every once in awhile but nothing like a normal chick. I feel so bad ... I'm hoping if it's going to die, that it would quickly do it on it's own. That's terrible to say, but I am a wimp when it comes to this stuff.

Oddly enough, this is my 4th hatch over the past 7 weeks. I have 2 incubators running so I could pull off the staggered hatch dates. They are both brinsea EX models, set at 99.5 degrees. I did test them out with multiple thermometers and everything reflected 99.5 -- not to say it couldn't have changed after continuously running for for so long.

The other hatches were right on time. But you know what -- at night the temps in the house do increase because we turn the furnace on. So it goes from 68 to 74, but because of the brooder heat lamp that's next to the incubator, maybe that increases it further.

There is one egg left in the incubator (the rest you see are the empty shells that I haven't taken out yet). The chick has increased the size of the hole and is still peeping. Hopefully absorbing it's egg yolk completely!! I thought my dates were incorrect but this one hatching with that much yolk makes me agree with early. I set them Feb. 14th.

Were they quite large eggs? Any chance you weighed them before you set them?

I didn't weigh them, but they're physically larger than my store bought graded large eggs. They wouldn't fit in the egg turner on their sides, had to wedge them in pointy side down. The darker eggs that hatched first with no extra yolk were typical large size and fit in the turner just fine. Does size have anything to do with hatching problems?

It could very well be environmental changes in the room at night then. That gave me issues as well, so I’m waiting for more stable weather for my next hatch.

If you can bring yourself to, a sharp pair of scissors or a very sharp knife would be my choice for culling the poor thing. It is hard, but in my opinion easier than letting it suffer any longer.

Back
Top Bottom