Did I kill my eggs?!

canineskiba

Hatching
May 19, 2016
My mum and I have bought eggs to put into our incubator.

We have 12 turkey eggs (palm and sweet grass) and 6 mille fleur cochin bantam eggs and 15 snow white quail.

We kept the temperature at 95.5 degrees.

They are due to hatch next Saturday (5/28/16).

On Tuesday (5/17/16), mum had discovered that the temperature was all the way up to 110 !

We don't know how long it was like that, how that happened for neither of us or anyone in the house touches it.

So I'm wondering if it killed the babies and / or are we going to expect some kind of birth defects?

My mum and I have bought eggs to put into our incubator.

We have 12 turkey eggs (palm and sweet grass) and 6 mille fleur cochin bantam eggs and 15 snow white quail.

We kept the temperature at 95.5 degrees.

They are due to hatch next Saturday (5/28/16).

On Tuesday (5/17/16), mum had discovered that the temperature was all the way up to 110 !

We don't know how long it was like that, how that happened for neither of us or anyone in the house touches it.

So I'm wondering if it killed the babies and / or are we going to expect some kind of birth defects?
110F would kill the eggs if the eggs were that high for any lenth of time. 95.5 is way too low as well for incubation temps.

The incubator instructions had a list of each kind of breed and how high the temperatures should be. It said that the temperature should be around 99.5. It's a styrofoam kind of incubator. And we had hatched chickens and turkeys in it last year at that temperature and they all hatched out.

The incubator instructions had a list of each kind of breed and how high the temperatures should be. It said that the temperature should be around 99.5. It's a styrofoam kind of incubator. And we had hatched chickens and turkeys in it last year at that temperature and they all hatched out.
If you will read your original post----you have 95.5 which is to low. 99.5 is fine.

You will just have to give the eggs some time to see if they are still alive.

Did you put all these eggs in the incubator at the same?? Reason I am asking is all 3 have different length incubation periods.

Yes, 99.5 is the recommend temps for forced air, but you had written 95.5.

If you will read your original post----you have 95.5 which is to low. 99.5 is fine.

You will just have to give the eggs some time to see if they are still alive.

Did you put all these eggs in the incubator at the same?? Reason I am asking is all 3 have different length incubation periods.
Thank you.

Oh I have! I'm sorry for the confusion. Yes, the temperature is at 99.5 and no, we put them in at different times so when they hatch, they'll all hatch around the same time.

We are keeping a closer eye on the temperature and ensuring that everything is where it should be. Thank you.

Last edited:
I'm happy to announce that the first quail hatched today! Two turkies have pipped, they'll be hatching soon. No sign of chickens, but they should hopefully start tomorrow.

Thank you everyone!

Back
Top Bottom