Did I make a mistake?

CatsCrazyCoop

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 1, 2011
Putnam Valley, NY
I have 7 standards - 21-22 weeks old (Buff Orpington, Dominique, Barred Rock, White Plymouth Rock, Jersey Giant, Black Sumatra & RIR)
Then I have 5 bantams (1 EE, 4 silkies) and then another standard (Silver Laced Wyandotte)

Did I make a huge mistake getting bantams to put in my flock? We have pecking issues...
..also did anyone ever use that pick no more spray?

My Buff Silkie has an awful case of wry neck and I have her in the 'infirmary' for treatment, and the just split Zerkie (AKA DumDum) straight down her back. She is doing well, and is also on the Vitamin E + Poly-Vi-Sol treatments, hoping to avoid Wry neck...

Just not sure if you shouldnt mix the bantams with standard
sad.png

i have 2 sebright hens and a bantam japanese hen in with 7 standard easter eggers. There is a little chasing, but they all seem to get along pretty well. The bantams have a LOT of personality and are a lot faster than the big girls.

A lot of people do it, and a lot of people won't, or tried it and had problems. In the end it probably depends most on factors like individual personalities, and how much space they have. There are several pick no more type products that people have used, with varying degrees of success. Pinless peepers are another approach that is evidently pretty effective. In the end I suspect space and natural forage are the best deterrents. I haven't had the problem, but mine have about a 70'x70' yard plus they are turned loose sometimes. I have I think 14 at the moment, never had over 50, and many of them were being grown out for the freezer.

I think that's an individual bird thing and not caused by the fact that some are bantams. I've had standards with silkies without a single problem. In my brahma coop one hen is a bantam, the rest are LF. Maggie the bantam will kick the butt of any chicken that looks at her the wrong way, big or small.

I have a banty hen with my mix breed chickens. My roo is part Americauna (sp?) and i was afraid he would try to breed her and hurt her but he takes such good care of her its sweet, he even feeds her things. So i too think it depends on the chickens. Also how much space do they have? Are they crowded or can they get a comfortable distance from eachother?
316359_2445980754691_1407065339_2892710_1939769333_n.jpg

I have bantams and LF together, but they grew up together so there never was a issue. Sometimes the bigger ones will chase the smaller ones a little but not much. I also have several feeders so it makes sure everyone can get at food and no one is left out.

Have you spent time watching them? Do you know which chicken usually starts it or is the biggest bully? Sometimes, without that chicken in the group, the other chickens get along much better. A particular chicken can either be the only bully or can get the others going.

Back
Top Bottom