Did I mess up? Should I change it back?

arcatamarcia

Songster
10 Years
Sep 24, 2009
I have four 20 week old pullets. They aren't laying yet, but they're getting ready.

A week ago I became worried that their nest box is too bright and doesn't afford enough privacy. It's a small coop (16 sq. ft.) with a single large nest box. The coop has an open side and two large windows, so it's very light in there, even in the nest. So I stapled a piece of fabric over half of the opening to give them a bit more shade and privacy. Before I did that, I would see them going into the next box and checking it out. Now they don't do that. I'm wondering if they don't like the curtain. But I also know they don't like change, so is changing it back worse?

I know, I'm just impatient for eggs and checking the nest 12 times a day isn't helping! I just want to make it comfortable for them.

Give the some time to adjust to it....one of my four just started laying on Sunday - at 24 weeks. Can you put them in the nest box? Just to show them how to navigate with the curtain there? Like you said, they are wary of anything new. Mine are certainly like that!! Good luck - I know the waiting is slow and painful
barnie.gif

Chickens typically like dark and private nesting boxes so I think you had the right idea. I would leave it and see how it goes. It iwll nto keep them from laying so if they lay some place other than the nest box, remove it. otherwise, good luck with the eggs in your near future

Put a golf ball in the nesting box, it'll give them the idea of where they're supposed to lay their egg!
smile.png

And I'd just leave the curtain.

Back
Top Bottom