Did I move ducklings outside to soon?

duckins

Songster
7 Years
Dec 29, 2012
Gladys, Va
I have 4 7 wk old runners who moved outside last wk in a run connected to my hen run their run has 2 houses with heat lamps and they are doing fine. I have 5 5 wk old ducklings 3 runners 2blue sweds. That I moved outside 2 days ago they had been going out for day trips for 1 wk prior to the final move I would have waited till next week but we had a warm spell and the 4 runners would literally cry and fuss for 2 hrs. After bringing the youngest group back in for the night which is what broke my heart after their fuss they would bed down in heated house for the night. Truly amazed even though their2 wks apart how they've bonded so quick unlike my others that soon anyway. Here's what has me worried spring weather being so unpredictable has decided to throw a chilly spell this wk day temps 50-40f nights 28-32f and very windy today their runs are also protected from wind and rain so bedding is dry but all 9 refuse to use the heated houses they remain in run next to hen wall and cuddle in group and watch the big girls. They eat and drink and try to swim which is not allowed when to cold and they do not seem to get cold but I still worry very much about the 5 wk olds as they are not completely feathered. Also houses may be to warm during day but at night the temp in houses is 55-60f. Never had problem with older ducks when they first moved out they used their heated houses when needed. Any opinions or advice would be great. I really miss having them in at night but as i said it was sad seperating them at night.

Growing ducklings don't usually do what is best for them. I think we've all seen them decide a swim would be great even though it's cold out. I agree that you are at a risk with them outside. I would at least not allow them out into the run for a few days minimum (a week or 2 would be better) so that they will realize where the warm spot is.

Back
Top Bottom