Did I pick the right chicks?

That’s what I thought, but they were very insistent roosters would be fine with everyone! Unless I get one by mistake in the chicks, I won’t be getting any intentionally.
They probably want to find homes for all those roosters. You are better off paying extra for sexed pullets. Roosters can be a challenge.

Sounds like you have a solid plan. Opossums eat tons of ticks too so it might be worth figuring out your chickens' turnout schedule to work around opossum foraging times. I'm surprised that apparently I had a somewhat unusual experience with Guinea fowl. The first time we got fowl I ordered 12 Easter Eggers and 12 guineas. They were fine together, but tended to stick with their same-species groups. Our run was uncovered and the guineas would come and go but didn't always sleep inside. They often roosted in trees but they flew well and survived just fine. They didn't bother us at all except when they wanted to roost in the rafters of the horse barn, where I didn't want their poop. This time we have close neighbors and don't know them all yet so I haven't (so far) ordered any guineas, but I would/will if I'm sure they won't bother the neighbors.

If you want foragers I would pick breeds with naturally camouflaging plumage like brown leghorns (similar pattern and colors of the wild jungle fowl, the main ancestor of the chicken), anconas, etc. I rarely let mine (Delawares, NH Reds) out to forage because of hawks. Silkies and cochins are great (I have two blue cochins) but they aren't the best at escaping predators. And unfortunately bantams are just the right size for even a small hawk.

Sounds like you have a solid plan. Opossums eat tons of ticks too so it might be worth figuring out your chickens' turnout schedule to work around opossum foraging times. I'm surprised that apparently I had a somewhat unusual experience with Guinea fowl. The first time we got fowl I ordered 12 Easter Eggers and 12 guineas. They were fine together, but tended to stick with their same-species groups. Our run was uncovered and the guineas would come and go but didn't always sleep inside. They often roosted in trees but they flew well and survived just fine. They didn't bother us at all except when they wanted to roost in the rafters of the horse barn, where I didn't want their poop. This time we have close neighbors and don't know them all yet so I haven't (so far) ordered any guineas, but I would/will if I'm sure they won't bother the neighbors.
Interesting- so you had no trouble with predation when they slept in the trees? And no problems between them and your chickens?

I have an opossum (yes, we named him Ricardo) who lives nearby. His “issue” is you can never tell when he is going to show up, he is out Day/night/ and in-between. Do you think roosters would drive him off as needed? He is the most laid back animal I’ve ever seen so I’m not sure he would even get up the energy to go after them if a rooster tried to chase them away!

I had a young opossum once try to become a regular at the egg buffet but it didn't bother my hens. But I am pretty sure I've read about them causing problems with birds. When my border collie tried to catch one, it just played dead and she decided it was no fun. And no, I didn't have any predation problems when my guineas roosted in trees. Full disclosure though, they moved to my neighbor's farm after a couple of years lol. If I did it again I'd put more effort into training them to come for treats when called.

Okay, we finally decided on Cream Legbars, Partridge Olive Eggers, Super Blue Layers, regular Olive Eggers, Barred Plymouth Rocks, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Black Copper Marans and some Naked Necks (too adorable for the bald dog owner!). I'm not getting any horrible feedback so I'm hoping this will be successful. :fl
Now comes the concern over my coop set-up, which I am reading volumes on, and my fear over getting cockerels and having them turn aggressive with the hens and/or me. I keep reading about it and the opinions are EXTREMELY varied, so I really don't know what to do. I am sure one is going to sneak into the day-olds, maybe more than one. :-( I'm not capable of killing these guys and I have no idea who would adopt one, so I guess you find out how to handle it if and when it happens. My grandmother's rooster had a distinct dislike for me and terrorized me every time I came in the yard... I thought that might be because I was a child, but the boards seem to indicate the aggressive ones will go after anyone and anything. :barnie

Back
Top Bottom