Did I process them to soon?

@aart what’s your favorite DP bird?
Not impressed with Lav Orp.
Not sure as it's not part of my goals, but had always planned on eating extra cockerels from my replacement layers/crosses hatching.
'Dual Purpose' is misleading, IMO, they do neither really well.
Larger birds like Marans or Brahma might be best, both are not great layers and meatier.
But any layer bird is not going to be very meaty....it's an acquired taste and usage.

I slaughter cockerels at 13-16 weeks, before they start causing chaos and while still tender enough to grill for that crispy skinned deliciousness. Not much meat but the grilled bones make for some excellent stock. Anything older than that I pressure cook until meat is done and is saved aside then a couple more hours to get that bone broth.

Resting the cleaned carcass in fridge for 48-72 hours for rigor to pass is essential for chewable meat from any bird(except maybe CX?), the older the bird the longer I rest them. Tho no homegrown bird I've eaten, layer or meat breed, is as soft as a grocery bird, they are more 'toothsome'.

one you might try (someday) is the Sagitta cross available from Dunlap hatchery in Idaho.
http://www.dunlaphatchery.net/buhl80/Dunlap.aspx?codeid=SAG
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threadloom/search

If you look closely Dunlap has both those Sagittas and another one called Aquilas. Not much information on the Aquilas but nice information on the Sagittas.

It surprises me that people into all sorts of projects to breed a nice meaty layer just don't try these instead.

If you look closely Dunlap has both those Sagittas and another one called Aquilas. Not much information on the Aquilas but nice information on the Sagittas.

It surprises me that people into all sorts of projects to breed a nice meaty layer just don't try these instead.
I think most of us it’s a hobby and fun project. If you tried those meaty layers they would never breed true. I wonder if anyone has hatched any of the eggs?

I think that is an acceptable size for 12 weeks. Those are young enough to BBQ or fry. In my signature is a link to an article with pressure cooker fried chicken, from my 1972 pressure cooker. It calls for a chicken of the exact size you just harvested. We have gotten used to the size of the Modern Cornish-X, but the traditional fryer size is 2 1/2 -3 pounds.
A 3 pound dressed bird is the perfect size for a family of four, and don't forget to make soup or chicken & dumplings with the carcass and scraps the next day.

A 3 pound dressed bird is the perfect size for a family of four, and don't forget to make soup or chicken & dumplings with the carcass and scraps the next day.

Myself I like my chickens bigger. I like to buy those Cornish Roasting Chickens at the Supermarket at at least 5 pounds. Great to bake. So I would be looking for a larger bird when processed.

Back
Top Bottom