Did I provoke my neighbor into this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What part of TN are you in? I live in nc, and if you need a toilet planter, I have a toilet my hubby needs to haul off.
lau.gif

Yep DEF need the crazy neighbors club section on BYC!! I also have an old cast iron tub ifin ya need it! Not the pretty claw foot kind either! LOL Hang in there!!
hugs.gif

Quote:
Hi Jennie5193, first off
hugs.gif
you probably need one!!
smile.png
This is my 2 cents....
duc.gif
CALM DOWN ! If your in the right, that is all that matters. If he is a bully you don't want to, like your title says "Did I provoke my neighbor" you don't want to provoke him. There are mean and cruel people in this world and if the law has to be called out you want to be the "Good Guy/Gal" in all this. He is probably a miserable mean person and I'm sure he can see you with your chickens. He knows that they bring you joy and he wants to burst your bubble, don't let him. How long has he been your nieghbor and how long have you had your chickens? Also, what type of fencing seperates your yards? There are people that lift you up and and then there are the one that bring you down, he sounds like the latter. Stay strong and if the law gets called out stay CALM. Don't show what your really feeling inside
barnie.gif
let him show what a donkeys behind he really is!!!
smack.gif
I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Last edited:
This would be my response, and it would not be an e-mail. A copy would be sent registered mail and a copy sent regular mail (just in case he didn't go sign for the other).

Your name
Your address

His name
His address

Re: chickens

Date

cc: my attorney, local law enforcement

Dear Neighbor,

You and I have exchanged negative e-mails regarding my right to have chickens and your disapproval of the chickens. You have threatened poison and and attacked my character with a disgusting racial slur. I have decided to take the high ground and will no longer respond to your repulsive rants.

The zoning regulations do not prohibit keeping poultry on my property. I am sure that you are capable of looking up the appropriate zoning ordinances yourself so I will not include them here. My lawn is mowed regularly. I am not violating any local codes or ordinances.

You have indicated that you intend to place poisons near the fence/property line. Since my animals do not cross over to your property, they will be safe. However, if any of my animals suffer from poisoning, I will assume that you purposely or negligently placed poison on my side of the fence. Therefore, any poisoning of my animals will result in legal action against you. I thank you for putting your threats in writing. That makes documenting your threats and intentions much easier. I would also like to make you aware that there has been no evidence of rats on my property.

I would also like to bring to your attention that placing notes in other people's mailboxes is a violation of federal laws. Please keep this in mind if you feel the need to place less than helpful notes and suggestions in other people's mailboxes as I suspect you have done in the past. I, for one, will no longer tolerate such behaviour and will report it. I have spoken to others in the neighborhood and they are of like mind.

I fully intend to keep and maintain my poultry on my property in the manner in which I see fit. If you have the desire to live in an area that restricts animal ownership, I suggest that you move to such a neighborhood. I specifically chose to purchase my property because the zoning allows poultry. I did a great deal of research on the zoning regulations before moving here. I suggest that you do similar research the next time you buy a home.

Please do not send me any more e-mail correspondences. I will consider any further hostile communications from you as harrassment and forward them to my attorney and local law enforcement. We live in a civilized society and are a community of laws. I respect those laws, and I hope you will do the same. If you would like to communicate with me regarding this matter, I would suggest that you find a civilized manner to do so.

Best Regards,
X

Quote:
We've done so much to make the coop pretty and keep the run consealed. Our yard is clean (maybe the grass only gets cut once a week) and my chickens don't bother anyone. There is no sort of an eye-sore on our property. He was offended by *seeing* chickens. Nothing more, nothing less.

I do need to ask, though - what makes me give chicken owners a bad rap? (I only ask because the last thing I want to do is be a bad rap.)

Thanks,
Jennie

You're not giving anyone a bad rap. You just got your dander up.

HUmmmm, interesting conversation?
wink.png
Not one I would want to have with my neighbor. Hopefully you both just had a bad day, and this doesn't become a bigger issue.
hmm.png

I would worry about the rat poison. That could be the worst outcome of the little tiff.
barnie.gif

Try to smooth it over...even though things were said (from both sides) that hit a few nerves.

We have all had an argument- that after a few days, we wish we wouldn't have.
sad.png

[would also like to bring to your attention that placing notes in other people's mailboxes is a violation of federal laws

Where did you get that information that this is a federal offense?

Quote the source please. I am curious.​

You know, Jody just gave you a perfect letter to send him and good advice. I don't think much more can be accomplished in this thread, therefore I am going to close it. Thanks to all for your participation. Jennie, good luck with your situation. Hope it works out okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom