Did I read that you can freeze eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kathyinmo, Sep 29, 2009.

1. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I recall reading somewhere that you can freeze eggs. If so, how do you do it? I mean, is there a process to follow, or just put them in the freezer? Or maybe it is just for cooked eggs?

2. mschickychick

mschickychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Mississippi
    First of all I haven't done this yet. I was checking it out because I'm overrun with quail eggs. It's handy to crack the eggs open into ice trays. I think it said to stick a toothpick through the eggs, but not sure. Freeze. Put into zip lock bags for later use. Sounds good to me.

[​IMG]

3. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I used to freeze eggs all the time. We raised racoons for the DNR and their baby formular calls for egg yolks. We would seperate the eggs into freezer zip-loc bags and freeze them. They last about 4-6 months.

4. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i had read to crack them into a ice cube tray and use a fork to scramble slightly. Use in baking or cooking but not good for scrambled eggs. I would think a large or ex large egg may be too big for most trays but I dont see why you couldnt do several in a bag, like 2 or 3 perfect for cake making.

5. SurprisingWoman

SurprisingWoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
  6. spammy

spammy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    I crack a dozen eggs into the food processor, add 1 tsp salt and pulse a few times. Portion them into 6 small zip lock bags lay them flat on a cookie sheet that is placed in the freezer. Next day place small bags into a larger freezer bag and return to freezer. When needed I thaw in fridge, good to cook with and good as scrambled. The salt makes a big difference.

7. obxWaMi

obxWaMi Chillin' With My Peeps

I happened to be reading my new copy of Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving today and this is what it says about freezing eggs...

"Select eggs as fresh as possible. Wash eggs in clear water; break each egg separately into a small bowl; examine eggs by smell and appearance for spoilage before mixing with other eggs. Whole: Gently mix the whites and the yolks without forming air bubbles by putting them through a sieve or collander. Pack eggs into plastic freezer jars or plastic freezer containers leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Seal, label and freeze. Yolks: Gently mix the yolks without forming air bubbles. To each 6 yolks add 1 teaspoon sugar or 1/2 teaspoon salt to reduce coagulation. Pack same as whole eggs. Whites: Gently mix whites without forming air bubbles. Pack same as whole eggs. Measuring: Use these measurements for frozen eggs: 3 tablespoons whole egg=1 egg, 2 tablespoons egg white=1 egg white, 1 tablespoon egg yolk= 1 egg yolk.

I love my Blue Book. I recently began canning and I've learned so much from it. Hope this helps.

Cheers
    --Michelle

8. cluckinchicken

cluckinchicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    Ann Arbor
    I freeze hard boiled eggs all the time for my dogs as high protein treats.

9. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    So true!

Quote:

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Wait about 2 more months and then come to my coop. You can get them prefrozen. No effort required. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by